Default Age Discrimination by Graduate School

My question involves education law in the State of: North Carolina

I am a 45 year old student graduating from a North Carolina public university with my B.A. in Psychology in May 2012. I have been turned down flat by another North Carolina public university for graduate school. My GPA and GRE score meet or exceed the averages published by the graduate school which rejected me.

Emails to the Program Director are at an impasse. I asked how many applicants over 40, and over 30, were admitted to their M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program in this cohort. The answer was a vague "We routinely admit students 20-50". I asked if my GPA was being weighed against undergraduates who had the opportunity to earn college credit in high school, which did not exist when I graduated high school in 1985. Some of these students ENTER their Bachelor's degree with GPAs over 4.0 due to ridiculously generous college credits given in NC high schools. This was answered with "Our committee process is confidential and as Program Director I cannot advise you on why you were not admitted".

I find it odd that GPA and GRE information is routinely published in US News and World Report, as well as the university's own website, yet I cannot get basic statistics to assure me my application was not pushed to the bottom of the pile. Of course university committee decisions are confidential, however, that is to protect student information, not so committee members can cover their behinds.

My belief is that the committee chose traditional college age undergrads from their own school for admission and left the rest of us to hang. Do I have legal recourse?

Thank you for your time and attention to my questions.

Default Re: Age Discrimination by Graduate School

Speculation won't win a discrimination suit. If you have no evidence of discrimination, you can consult a lawyer about how you might go about gathering evidence or building a case, but you need evidence if you want to win an actual court case.

As mentioned above - what evidence? Additionally, what are the criteria for getting into grad school besides GPA? Qualifying entrance exams? Finances? Recommendations etc?

I have met or exceeded GPA, GRE (entrance exam) and had excellent recommendations from the Psychology Professors as well as the Dean of Psychology at my undergraduate school. The Graduate program director simply refuses to give me accurate statistics which are needed to prove a discrimination case. Are North Carolina graduate schools permitted to blow off legitimate candidate questions after denying admission, and how do I go about proving discrimination when the evidence is being deliberately withheld?

File the lawsuit and then request discovery of the information you'll need. You'll need a lawyer which you most likely will need to, intiially at least, pay for out of pocket.

Agreed. Need evidence. How can evidence be obtained when statistical information which would prove discrimination is being withheld from me as a denied applicant? Is it legal for Graduate Schools in North Carolina to withhold the justification for rejection and not respond to legitimate applicant queries on how to improve her application? Is it legal to withhold statistical information on the age of accepted applicants in general? I am NOT asking for individual personal information on those admitted, yet they are denying me access to said statistics based on privacy laws.

You don't need to file a lawsuit just yet. The courts frown on lawsuites being filed with discovery as the sole means of finding information that would be used to support your claim. Instead, file Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request through the school. The institution has a defined timeframe to respond to your request for information. If they are a government sponsered school, they must answer the FOIA request which will provide the age information that you desire.

Once you have that information if you still feel that the issue merits a lawsuit you can find an attorney to file it on your behalf.

Why not go as a student at large and see if you can get in that way ... take courses that can be transferred .

So you are upset they won't play your game. Do you think they don't know you are trying to bully them into accepting you?
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

1. Sponsored Links