Default Ex Has Vehicle I Bought in His Name but I Have Letter Stating Car is Mine

My question involves a relationship in the state of:new york
    my ex had a letter legally signed stating the vehicle in his name was purchased and owned by me. he is now refusing to sign the title over to me what can i do legally about this? i need that vehicle to transport my children

Default Re: Ex Has Vehicle I Bought in His Name but I Have Letter Stating Car is Mine

WHen you mean ex are we talking about a legal spouse or just someone you were shacked up with?
    What is this letter? Why would a letter have any bearing on ownership. That's what titles are for. Who wrote this letter to whom?

Default Re: Ex Has Vehicle I Bought in His Name but I Have Letter Stating Car is Mine

Your alternative is to sue him in court for the value of the car and let the judge decide if the letter conveys ownership and is still in effect. As previously stated, that is what titles and liens are for. How is one to know if another event cancelling this promise has not taken place?
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Quote Quoting mommyof6
    View Post
    my ex had a letter legally signed stating the vehicle in his name was purchased and owned by me.
    What do you mean by "legally signed"? Exactly what does the letter say?

Did you pay for the car?

Car ownership is registered by title, not by letters (even if they're "legally signed").

The letter may establish that you have a claim for money damages. It may even be enforceable as some sort of sales agreement. But we can't tell you what significance the language holds unless we know what the letter says.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post

Car ownership is registered by title, not by letters (even if they're "legally signed")..
    No doubt that a title is prima facia evidence of ownership. But that does not mean that the OP can actually establish that she is the rightful owner. Difficult yes, impossible, no.

Questions for the OP concerning the car over its life since purchase:
    1) who has the car?
    2) where is is kept?
    3) who has exclusive control of the car?
    4) who pays for maintenance?
    5) who pays taxes, fees regarding the car?
    6) when was it purchased?
    7) at time of purchase were you both together? At same address?
    8) if you bought it but your ex is on the title, how did this happen?

If the answer to question 7 is that you were together & living at the same address then you case just got extremely hard.

It will be tough. Depending on what the letter says, and whom it was from could make things easier.. In Georgia, my uncle had the same exact thing happen to him, he never was able to legally take possession of said vehicle for years, she finally signed it over to him when she wasn't able to make the payments.

1. Sponsored Links