Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can I Move Out Without Being Emancipated

Me and my friend want to move in with her boyfriend. we're both 16 right now. can we move out of our parents house's with out getting emancipated first? and if we can how old do we have to be. can we be 16 and move out. because i heard that you have to be 17 to move out. if you can help thank you very much.
    sincerely,
    anne

Default Re: Can I move out with out being emancipated

Quote Quoting AnnieRuth
    View Post
    Me and my friend want to move in with her boyfriend. we're both 16 right now. can we move out of our parents house's with out getting emancipated first? and if we can how old do we have to be. can we be 16 and move out. because i heard that you have to be 17 to move out. if you can help thank you very much.
    sincerely,
    anne
    You would be considered a runaway if you moved out without your parent's pemission.

Legally you can't move out until you are 18.

well what would happen if i moved out?

Quote Quoting AnnieRuth
    View Post
    well what would happen if i moved out?
    Several things could happen. Your parents could report you as a runaway and anybody helping you could get into legal trouble. For example, harboring a runaway, contributing to the delinquency of a minor......

You are still a minor and your parents are responsible for you until you turn 18.

From Virginia statutes:

722.52 Adult of legal age; support payments for person 18 years of age or older.
    Sec. 2.
    (1) Except as otherwise provided in the state constitution of 1963 and subsection (2), notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a person who is at least 18 years of age on or after January 1, 1972, is an adult of legal age for all purposes whatsoever, and shall have the same duties, liabilities, responsibilities, rights, and legal capacity as persons heretofore acquired at 21 years of age.

Thumbs down Re: Can I move out with out being emancipated

Yes you can move out without being emancipated, the thing is you have to have your parents permission, so if you can't get your parents permission, then its not a good idea to leave. Parents can report you as a runaway to the police and you will get arrested, and taken back home, so if they do agree, I would get it in writting. Leaving home without their permission is probably a STUPID idea.

Technically you can move out at 17 and there is nothing the police can do. Your parents can report you as a runaway as said before, and anyone who helped you could be charged with harboring a minor/runaway and whatnot. The only real thing your parents could do to make you move back is to go get you themselves, other than that, there is nothing I can think of. (reminder: this was all told to me by a social worker, so if it is incorrect, I'm sorry)

I have heard that, but its a little interesting because if they report you as a runaway wouldnt the police do something? it doesnt make sence to me.

I am not sure why people think that there's nothing the police can do if a 17-year-old runs away from home. As with any unemancipated minor, running away is a status offense. The police can take you into custody, and take you to a juvenile court which would have the power to place you in a secure facility to ensure that you did not run away again.

As a practical matter, some police departments won't attempt to force a 17-year-old to return home, particularly where the teen is almost eighteen and/or has a safe, secure, appropriate place to live. But that does not mean they can't.

Wink Re: Can I move out with out being emancipated

Thank you for that, I was thinking it didn't make sence.
    It's not running away though if your parents allow it, and if they allow it then there probably not going to call the cops. So basically its become emancipated or get parental permission for the living on your own thing. Thats cool.

Yea, sorry about that, I guess my school counciler didn't know what she was talking about. But going for moving out at 17 with parental permission would be the best choice if you want to move out, and are close to 17. If you just turned 16, and you can support yourself financially and emotionally, and your situation is horrible, then emancipation would be the way to go. My reason for wanting out was futile, that is why I am trying to just move out peacefully now, and I have these guys to thank, so take their advice, as well as any social worker or adult you trust.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast