Research and or contact persons to obtain info on the Federal Clean Water Act, The National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (N.P.D.E.S.), The states General Permit related to Water Quality and or local Storm Water Pollution Prevention Programs. All construction is required to have storm water pollution prevention plans and erosion control plans. Construction is a constant "living" thing that changes from phase to phase of the project. Construction is required to be monitored by the State which is required by the Feds. A State Water Board rep my shed some light on the project. If there is a creek or natural water way being impacted by dirt, debris, construction materials, construction waste, improper best management practices to name a few things, there are probably violations. Construction sites are required to install and maintain best management practices that are effective. Records are required to be maintained and pencil in actions taken related changes and or modifications to the sites Storm Water Pollution Prevention and erosion control plans. It makes a big difference if the project is already completed. Then there is probably areas liability that needs to be sorted out (lawyers). Remember surveying was performed and there are plans, diagrams and maps. If the state or locals have an aggressive and or assertive pollution prevention program, contaminated construction runoff , urban runoff pollutants, illegal dumping is a concern and must be addressed. If the construction is ongoing, then there are operations and conditions related to each phase of the development e.g. waste oil from equipment, leaks, spills, concrete wash out areas paint wash out areas, tool cleaning, stucco washout etc.

Complicated, but it can be solved. I'm not a lawyer, I've just been involved in development sites. Hope it doesn't confuse you. It can get real deep, but easy if you know where to look. If there are typos, don't crucify me.