Default What Happens if I Have a Green Card and Someone Sues Me from My Country

Hello there, there is a bunch of people who keep suing me in Turkey for all my videos I upload to Youtube. Believe it or not, this is true, I'm an atheist, so they started suing every video I posted, saying that "it's insulting people's religious feelings" I dont insult anyone's religious feelings, but it doesnt matter. So my question it this; if I have a green card and I'm in US, and I never come back to Turkey, can someone sue me from Turkey over another video which I upload in US? If it happens, would I be deported back to US? I know it's tricky because this is not actually a crime in USA, but it is in Turkey.

A bonus question, if I ever get convicted of that video uploading crime in Turkey, how will it affect my chances of getting the green card if I win the lottery?

Default Re: What Happens if I Have a Green Card and Someone Sues Me from My Country

Whether or not somebody can sue you in Turkey under Turkish law is strictly a matter of Turkish law. Your holding a U.S. Green Card does not affect Turkish law, nor does being a U.S. permanent resident grant any form of immunity from foreign suits.

I don't see how civil litigation in Turkey based upon your supposedly offending somebody's religious sensitivities would have any bearing on your eligibility for the Green Card lottery or for subsequent permanent residency.

Default Re: What Happens if I Have a Green Card and Someone Sues Me from My Country

Hello, thanks for your reply. I am aware that I can still be sued and convicted if I go back to Turkey. But supposing I never go back to Turkey, someone can sue me from Turkey and that would make me get deported or lose my green card, or I'd be sent back to turkey for the lawsuit? It just doesnt make sense.

Again, whether or not somebody can sue you in Turkey under Turkish law is strictly a matter of Turkish law.

Again, your holding a U.S. Green Card does not affect Turkish law, nor does being a U.S. permanent resident grant any form of immunity from foreign suits.

As this is entirely hypothetical, there's no real point to this discussion. Talk to a lawyer in Turkey.

1. Sponsored Links