Default Series 7 Background Checks

My question involves a professional license in the state of: RI

I know this topic has been discussed here, read through a few older threads and was hoping some of you could shed some light on my situation.

I have an opportunity to interview at a firm and the position will require the series 7 (and 63) and I have a criminal history back in the 1990s. Two charges and convictions of shoplifting, one in 1991 and the other 1998 satisfied with a small fine. Not trying to downplay what I did but these were mainly childhood indiscretions I am not proud of, and sadly coming back to haunt me.

From the looks of form u-4 there is not time limit, and question pertaining to criminal history is pretty broad and clear when it comes to wrongful taking of property. My dilemma is that I currently have a job, but have this wonderful opportunity to interview for something I have long worked hard for and aspired to do. I am just wondering if its worth the hassle at all now after researching what might be ahead of me, and thinking I should NOT interview for the position at all now. Makes me sad, but I want to avoid being stressed out with the possibility of losing my job over a license, and potentially put my family at risk at any point in the future.

My questions are a follows:

1) Is there a time limit on how far they look back. I see some mentions of 10 years and beyond 10 years etc. I think the answer is no here but just want to make sure

2) Would Sealing my record benefit me in any way? I can't expunge in my state only Seal, but they make it clear I can answer NO to any questions about past criminal history.

3) Is there any discretion in all of this or is my charge/conviction that is considered a red flag for termination.

Thanks for the help.

Default Re: Series 7 Background Checks

The question for the FINRA application is broad: Have you ever been convicted..... Have you ever been charged with any felony. You should expect to answer truthfully, and you should not be surprised if they catch you if you give false answers. The references you've seen, which you have not shared, likely refer to the automatic disqualification due to a felony within the past 10 years.

Default Re: Series 7 Background Checks

I spoke with FINRA over the phone and they stated that convictions for shoplifting (over 15 years ago) would not prevent registration. Just wondering how that would go over with an employer to have that uncovered after hire.

1. Sponsored Links