Default Retrieving Property from Former Friend

My question involves personal property located in the State of: Kentucky

I have politely asked a former friend several times to return personal property of mine. Said former friend (we are not friends anymore is because the person in question developed a really bad drug habit) has been downright nasty and refuses to return my belongings. What can I do to get my stuff back? I'd like to avoid litigation of any sort if at all possible as I feel that it would not be worth the time, money, and effort to do so, but if I have to resort to it to get my personal property back, then so be it.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Default Re: Retrieving Property from Former Friend

What type of property are we talking about, how did it end up in the friend's possession, how long ago did that happen, and where is it now?

Odds are that, absent cooperation, you'll need to litigate, but the devil is in the details.

Default Re: Retrieving Property from Former Friend

Thank you for your response, Mr. Knowitall.

The property in question is primarily articles of clothing which I had previously loaned to the former friend, as well as two Coach handbags, some jewelry, and assorted dvds, cds, and Xbox games. All together, I'd value it all at ~$650, which is why I am hesitant to litigate as the value of the property is probably less than court costs, missed work, and possible retainers.

The friend has had the items for approximately six months to a year; it should be noted that any items I had which belonged to the friend were returned to friend's possession after we had our falling out two months ago. My property is in the possession of the former friend who lives five minutes away from me... I filed a police report against the former friend the day that we fell out because the friend began harassing and threatening me via text and phone calls and would not stop. They were ordered by police to not further contact me, and save for two random, nonsensical messages through Facebook they have left me alone; the only avenue of contact the friend has now is through Facebook as I have changed my phone number and do not wish to have any contact with the person, but would simply like my stuff back.

1. Sponsored Links