Default How to Expunge First Offense Petty Theft Misdemeanor

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Florida

How can I go about in my arraignment in court in two weeks to help have my case expunged in the future? The arrest was for petty theft, first offense misdemeanor, just turned 18, orange county state of florida. I will not have a lawyer as I am a dependent student, and my parents have not found out. I will go to court by myself.

I hope you can realize that this is extremely important to me. I am in hopes of becoming a doctor in the future, and I know for a fact that after you are offered admission to medical school, the official licensing(MD) school must do an official, and pretty thorough background check on you. This misdemeanor will definitely haunt me, so I am trying to do whatever it takes to have this case dismissed and/or expunged. If I get the pretrial diversion program(frequent for first offenders petty theft), can it be expunged once I complete it, or only sealed? What other consequences can I expect to face? I will NOT plead guilty.

Default Re: How to Expunge First Offense Petty Theft Misdemeaner(35$)

Please keep it all in the same thread. Expunction is putting the cart before the horse at this point. What you want to do is avoid the conviction to start with. Since you're guilty as hell diversion is your best option if you can get it. If you are convicted you WILL not be eligible for expunction.

It's gonna sting but speak to your parents and hire a good lawyer especially considering you plan to enter the medical field. Many times expunged records still pop up especially if it's military,law enforcement,medical boards,school and many other things. With a good lawyer they might take pity on you given your age and that it's a 1st offense. It's a long shot but it's worth giving it a try. If you plead not guilty see if it's possible to get a public defender.

In the court near me if the person is under 21 the da or judges wants a parent to be present. I did some dumb things myself and hated breaking the new to my mother the lawyer help big time in limiting the damage. It might be a long shot but I would hire a lawyer and hope for straight out dismal if not then look in to a diversion program and ask them how viewable the records are .

I don't think telling my parents would be a good idea.. Could a public defender possibly help me out in dismissing the charges?

Maybe,the court might a diversion program,which you have a decent shot at getting. It's hard the best way is an out right dismal where no verdict of guilt is entered imo the best way to achieve that is a private lawyer,maybe see if you can get a pd and see what they say.

How old are you kid?

Default Re: How to Expunge First Offense Petty Theft Misdemeanor

When I was arrested, I was 18, and a week before that I was 17... :/

I guess if a dismissal doesn't come about, then a pretrial would be a good option. Its only 6months for second degree, and its only like biweekly or once a month attendance.

Help, can I expunge it still.

If I complete a pretrial diversion program, and wait a year?

Pre-trial diversion generally makes it all go away. I can't say how Florida does it, but the purpose of pre-trial is to "give the dog a free bite", so to speak. Successful completion of the diversion program generally gives the offender a fresh start with a sealed record.

Yay I went to court today by myself without parents knowing. 30 minute drive, 80mph average speed, cut corners perfectly haha wearing my suit.

Had to pretend I was going to the gym, and bring my suit and tie in my backpack haha. I snuck the GPS too, arrived exactly one minute before the court time. Everything went smooth and I was immediately offered pretrial diversion. Not to mention, there were loads of plasma tvs around the court haha everything was so nice and modern i expected less of a court for criminals, and only 13 people were in my court session + a hot blonde public defender, this went so smooth man.

1. Sponsored Links