Exclamation Can My Mother Legally Kick Me Out of the House Without Notice

(I am not 100% sure this is the right category) My mother and I have never really gotten along so a couple of days ago she told me to get out. I have a job but since I'm in school, I don't have many hours. I am a straight A student and I'm in the National Honor Society. So I am obviously not a bad child. However, in order to support myself I decided to quit school. I know that isn't the smartest thing to do especially since I only have four more months, but I have no where to go and I have to be able to work. I told my mother that I was going to drop out and that I would be able to move out within 30 days which I thought was reasonable. She was completely outraged by this and said if I'm not going to school then I can't stay at her house and she told me I had to leave today. Ironically, the only reason I decided to quit school was because she kicked me out in the first place. Oh and she also said I have to take all of my stuff with me at once or she would not let me back in to get it later. I know that if she wants me to leave I have to but can she do that without notice and without letting me get all of my stuff?

Default Re: Can My Mother Legally Kick Me Out of the House Without Notice

If you are 18, yes, she can kick you out. I suggest you rethink the idea of quitting school though. First, I suggest talking to all of your friends/relatives, to see if staying temporarily is an option. Second, I suggest you check with a local homeless shelter or social services, to see if something temporary can be worked out. Some hotels will rent rooms by the week, for $150. What city/state are you in? Quitting school is the worst decision you can make. You would be better off living in a car and showering at school, to finish. Check Craigslist for a room for rent.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

Quote Quoting Aribear93
    View Post
    I am a straight A student and I'm in the National Honor Society. So I am obviously not a bad child.
    I seem to remember that at least one of the Melendez brothers was an honor society student, too. I don't mean to imply that you are a bad kid. I'm just pointing out that A doesn't always equal B.

But, to answer to your question, a little more info is needed. Most obviously, how old are you? If you are still a minor, mom can't legally kick you out at all (provided that she is your legal guardian and does not take steps to see to your care somewhere else). If you have reached your majority, she can...but, if you wish to contest it, she would have to go through an eviction process just as if she were your landlord. I doubt you really want to be that hardball with your mom, but it might be something to point out during a (calm and rational) discussion.

How old are you kid?

Your mom can threaten you with whatever she thinks will cause you to (in her view) extract your head from your posterior.

Quote Quoting PTPD22
    View Post
    I seem to remember that at least one of the Melendez brothers was an honor society student, too. I don't mean to imply that you are a bad kid. I'm just pointing out that A doesn't always equal B.
    Even if you are a sociopath, quitting school is a major mistake.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

I just turned 18. She actually made my other siblings leave earlier than 18. I'm the only one that has lasted this long.

At 18 she can kick you out.

1. Sponsored Links