Default Possession of Marijuana, First Offense in Michigan

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

I was recently charged with posession of a controlled substance. I had at the most 1gram of marijuana on me. Im 18 and going to college. This is my 1st offense of anything, before this my record was squeaky clean. I have court in 2 weeks and I'm not really sure what to expect. Will I get probation? Whats the most that I will have to pay in fines? Will I have to take a drug test on my court date? Can this charge eventually be cleared of my record since it is my first time?

Like I said im not really sure what to expect, so any info that anyone can share with me would be very helpful. Thanks!

Default Re: Possession of Marijuana, First Offense in Michigan

I doubt on the day of court if a drug test will be given probation is possible but if I had to guess it sounds like a fine is the most likely outcome,idk how much. A lawyer is the best person to ask. Plead not guilty and ask about getting a 7411,it's a type of diversion to avoid a conviction . I think Mi in general lets you expunge misdemeanor convictions,discuss this with a lawyer.

Thank you so much!

Would it be alot worse if I pled guilty to the charge? Im not sure if I'll be able to pay for a lawyer

It might be possible to get a legal aide,either way plead not guilty and ask about any diversion programs (i think in MI 1st time drug offenders especially if it's a small amount are granted 7411 in many cases. It's foolish to just plead guilty .

one more question, will I get notices in the mail before my court date? If so when? It is in 2 weeks

The problem is that each county within the state of MI can take a charge differently. For example, in Illinois, a Cook Co. judge would SOL that charge immediately. But in Dupage, you'r probably be found guilty and sentenced to either a day in jail (if you had to bond out, you'd time considered served) plus a fine or community service. I'd wait to speak with an attorney that is familiar with how aggressively your county would pursue the charge and then weigh your options.

As for notification, if you have not received it by the end of the week, I'd call the Clerk's office and ask them to look it up.

lol just my luck. I went to court today for my ticket 3 hours away and the judge was not there for some reason and the fill in couldnt give out a sentence. On the brightside It looks like I will just have to pay a small fine the next time I go

1. Sponsored Links