Default Home Visits from Debt Collectors

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Minnesota
    I defaulted on my credit cards in 2007 due to loss of career job. I attempted to make arrangements with some of the comp[anies to no avail; they all wanted more than I could offer.
    Anyway all of these debts have changed hands many times with collection agencies. Today one left a message on my answering machine:
    "Hi, this is Tony and I have some documents concerning you that I need you to verify. I will come out to your house tomorrow between 2 and 4 in the afternoon, be there and have identification." He left a toll free number and did not say which company he represents.
    Okay, I highly doubt dude will show up but if he does what do I do? I have no idea who this is or what company he represents. Do these people actually come to your home for a collection visit? What are my rights? I know I will not show my ID to anyoneother than a law enforcer.
    Thanks,
    Bruno

Default Re: Home Visits from Debt Collectors

The caller is full of BS and is trying to frighten you into calling the office to make arrangements with them. No one is coming to your house.

I've been pestered by a couple of different companies regarding what one claims is an NSF check. Fine and good, but the only checks I've written in the past 15 years have been to my son's guitar instructor. If one came back to him, he'd tell me to my face on any given Tuesday. So I've no idea what it is, but if it's legit, they'll send me actual mail instead of making vague threats over the phone.

I wrote about it elsewhere:

Someone claiming to be "Mr. Kelly", a "legal courier" in my county looking to serve me with documents to appear in court, claims he will be at my house tomorrow to do so. I live in Ohio, the call is from New York. Nothing has been filed in my local court, all civil cases are available online. Scammer, no doubt.

[...and a few days later...]

On the day that "Mr. Kelly" claimed he would be coming to my house to "serve" me, he called around lunchtime to tell me that it was my "last chance" to "contact the party pursuing [me]". He then stated that he had left the number I needed to call, he had no choice but to come to my house, and in a pissed off tone, said he would be at my house "very soon". No one ever showed. I've done a bit more poking around and have learned that Check Management Group is owned by an attorney named Donald Alessi in Buffalo, NY. Check Management Group is not licensed to collect in any state. The calls claiming to have documents ordering you to appear in court are illegal, they violate the FDCPA.
    Now, you may well be being pestered by an entirely different company - based on my research when I was trying to find out who was pestering me, I found many similar complaints, but different names and phone numbers.

What are my rights?
    IF someone shows up - and I don't expect anyone will, based on experience and research - you have the right to tell them to get the hell off your porch and never return.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Many thanks for your response. Interestingly enough a few weeks ago a similar message was left on my machine, except it was for a woman, let's say her name is Mary Smith. It was a woman who called and she left almost the same message except she said she was going to go either to Mary's home or work. It was a wrong number I am sure, or perhaps a ruse to get me to call them back to say there is no one here by this name, identify myself and then get yelled at.
    Regardless if he does show up, and I doubt it, I will tell him to leave the property now or else the police will be called to assist him.

it might have been a process server who is going to serve you a summons.

or it might simply be BS.

let us know if they show up and what it was for.

I wondered too if it could be a process server. However, do they call and make an appointment with those they are to serve?
    As well how can they possibly ask you for your ID unless they are law enforcement?
    Will keep you posted.

Quote Quoting Bruno12345
    View Post
    I wondered too if it could be a process server. However, do they call and make an appointment with those they are to serve?
    As well how can they possibly ask you for your ID unless they are law enforcement?
    Will keep you posted.
    I worked a short time in "consumer collections" the first job out of college, and they don't send collectors to peoples homes because it is so inefficient, someone on the phone at the central office can do nearly 100 calls a day. How many home visits can you do a day, and only if it's a short distance from the office?? Our central collection office covers several states.

When I changed jobs, I moved on the commercial finance, and I here I convinced my bosses I should visit some of my customers, as I got to know many of them. But still, they feel it's not my job to do so, it's very inefficient, and it's better for our salesman to do so while visiting the customer. They were also afraid of people getting into confrontations with the customer.

As to process servers, I have never heard of them making appointments. My dad had sued a tenant in an eviction case, and the process server had trouble finding the guy saying someone sitting outside the building told him on a few occasions the person is not in when no one answered the doobell. Based on the description, the guy telliing the server that is the tenant. But we were told the man cannot ask the man sitting outside for his ID, if and and when he comes by later to serve

That's why I wound up serving the papers on the tenant for my dad. I was told by the attorney when he opens the door, thrust the paper at him, say "here is your bla bla bla, Mr......", and run. I'm told to make sure the papers touched his body, if he refused to accept it. He in fact let the papers fall on the floor chased after me saying he'll beat the crap out of me.

I'm told that I can then sign an affadavit saying I personally served him because I knew what he looked like.

This is why I find the story of some guy coming by to show you the papers to be a total scam, as I can't see it happening. I can't see a process server ringing someone's doorbell, someone opens the door, and he says "ID please ..". Can you see that happening??

Now, I have seen notices nailed onto tenant's doors nowadays, but when my dad was doing it, it didn't appeared to be an option.

Well at least for today the battle is done. We are in the midst of a snow storm here in MN and there has to be at least 6 inches of the stuff on the ground and much has been canceled as we speak. Earlier a car pulled into the Y shaped driveway and went to the 2nd garage; I think this was related to something else with my brother. No footprints came to the house.
    I had great doubts anyone would show up here. I believe it was a ruse to get me to call their organization. Regardless, I am not going to call them. These credit card debts have passed through so many hands since 2007 and I am unemployed and a full-time student. My credit rating is shot regardless.
    Thanks for your comments, you obviously know what you're talking about of you've worked in the field. I have another question I am sure you can answer. Will post in new thread. Thanks.

1. Sponsored Links