Default Getting Unemployment if You Quit Your Job

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California

Not sure if I will be eligible, or how long and complicated a process it would be to obtain benefits.

I work in sales. I was told that my productivity was unacceptable for the past three pay periods (I was not talked to or given notice at any of those times), and that if I did not make my numbers for the next period I would be terminated.

Since I have recently acquired a second part-time job, I did not think about unemployment. I assumed that you had to be fully unemployed to qualify.

I tried my best but within a week (after having only worked 3 days) they pulled me into the office, without having given me much of a chance to do better, and told me the numbers I would have to make in order to keep my job. The way she worded it was negative, the numbers were very difficult to achieve, and she asked if I could "realistically" make them. Because I didn't want to have being terminated on my record, and because it was evident that she was about to either terminate me or try to persuade me to quit, I told her that I wanted to resign.

Like an idiot, I signed my resignation and put as my reason "other job/more money". I didn't want to admit that I was quitting to avoid being fired. Now I've been told by a coworker that I could have waited to be terminated and received UI.

I have a document saying that I will be terminated if I don't make my numbers, but it also says a bunch of other bullshit about my not being productive/effective, not "taking pride" in my work, etc....it was written by a psycho of a manager who gave terrible review to everyone which included plenty of lies.

I am working less than 20 hours a week at the second, part-time job and am paid minimum wage - less than the job I just resigned from. It is not a better paying job!

Default Re: Eligibility if I Quit - State of California

In order to qualify, you must be unemployed through no fault of your own. Based on your description, you don't come close to this burden.
    With enough thrust, pigs fly just fine.
    You may believe that you understood what you think I said. I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Default Re: Getting Unemployment if You Quit Your Job

You haven't asked a question. But I assume you want to know if you will be eligible?

The only way to find out is to file and see. It's WAY too state- and situation-specific for a message board to do anything but guess.

The worst they can say is no, and in that case, you're no worse off than if you didn't file in the first place.

Agreed - you should certainly file but the odds of you being eligible for UC benefits are slim. Being told that if you don't improve your performance you will be fired is not "good cause" to quit and still receive unemployment.

I would still show those letters to an Unemployment office...

But you are really better off when you let them fire you.

Ignore the old "it looks better on a resume if you quit than fired" because times have changed, and that does not hold true anymore.

I agree with Beth - being told your performance needs improving, you weren't taking pride in you job .....will not help your case re getting UI. However, definitely apply even though you quit.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

1. Sponsored Links