Angry Buyer Didn't Transfer Vehicle Title so I'm Still the Owner

My question involves vehicle registration or title in the state of: Kentucky

I sold my car to a woman in 2010 who has not transferred the title in her name. I got a notice from the Title Bureau saying that I still own the car and owe taxes on it. I called and explained what happened and they said I can get a new title and simply junk the car. I tried to contact the buyer but am getting hung up on. I need legal advice on what to do. I don't want the car back so my intension is to junk it, but what happens if the car is towed or ticketed? Am I legally liable for the car once I junk the title? I don't even know if the car is still in Kentucky. Help!

Default Re: Buyer Didn't Transfer Vehicle Title so I'm Still the Owner

Did you follow the law when you sold the car?
    Quote Quoting KRS 186.190 Transfer of registration upon transfer of ownership -- Clerk's fee.
    (1) When a motor vehicle that has been previously registered changes ownership, the registration plate shall remain upon the motor vehicle as a part of it until the expiration of the registration year.

(2) A person shall not purchase, sell, or trade any motor vehicle without delivering to the county clerk of the county in which the sale or trade is made the title, and a notarized affidavit if required and available under KRS 138.450 attesting to the total and actual consideration paid or to be paid for the motor vehicle. Any unexpired registration shall remain valid upon transfer of the vehicle to the new owner. Except for transactions handled by a motor vehicle dealer licensed pursuant to KRS Chapter 190, the person who is purchasing the vehicle shall present proof of insurance in compliance with KRS 304.39-080 to the county clerk before the clerk transfers the registration on the vehicle. Proof of insurance shall be in the manner prescribed in administrative regulations promulgated by the Department of Insurance pursuant to KRS Chapter 13A. On and after January 1, 2006, if the motor vehicle is a personal motor vehicle as defined in KRS 304.39-087, proof of insurance shall be determined by the county clerk as provided in KRS 186A.042.

(3) Upon delivery of the title, and a notarized affidavit if required and available under KRS 138.450 attesting to the total and actual consideration paid or to be paid for the motor vehicle to the county clerk of the county in which the sale or trade was made, the seller shall pay to the county clerk a transfer fee of two dollars ($2), which shall be remitted to the Transportation Cabinet. If an affidavit is required, and available, the signatures on the affidavit shall be individually notarized before the county clerk shall issue to the purchaser a transfer of registration bearing the same data and information as contained on the original registration receipt, except the change in name and address. The seller shall pay to the county clerk a fee of six dollars ($6) for his services.

(4) If the owner junks or otherwise renders a motor vehicle unfit for future use, he shall deliver the registration plate and registration receipt to the county clerk of the county in which the motor vehicle is junked. The county clerk shall return the plate and motor vehicle registration receipt to the Transportation Cabinet. The owner shall pay to the county clerk one dollar ($1) for his services.

(5) A licensed motor vehicle dealer shall not be required to pay the transfer fee provided by this section, but shall be required to pay the county clerk's fee provided by this section.

(6) The motor vehicle registration receipt issued by the clerk under this section shall contain information required by the Department of Vehicle Regulation.

1. Sponsored Links