Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who Pays Travel Cost for Visitation when Custodial Parent Moves to Another Continent

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Texas

Hi and thanks for any help on this...I'm the father and non-custodial parent and my ex, custodial parent, moved to South America with our child. Now, they moved when we separated, so prior to our divorce being official. I've currently been paying for all the travel costs, which can be $4,000-5,000 a year, which is a significant burden for me to bear alone on top of the 20% net resources for child support. So, my question is, shouldn't she have to pay at least 50% if not 100% given she was the one that moved from our state of residence which is Texas?

thanks!

Default Re: Who Pays Travel Cost for Visitation when Custodial Parent Moves to Another Contin

Did your final custody orders not address the issue of transportation?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: Who Pays Travel Cost for Visitation when Custodial Parent Moves to Another Contin

The issue of who pays for this does not seem to be addressed in the legal document so I want to get that cleaned up but another issue is that given my ex is abroad it is hard ot get her to agree to address this in court.

How long has the child lived in South America and you been footing the bill for visitation?

You don't have to get her to agree to address it in court, you file a petition to modify your current order and have her served. She will have no choice than to address it in court.

I have a quick question, too - where in South America?

There's a reason I'm asking.

Do not microwave grapes

I've been paying for 4 years now and she lives in Argentina

One of the problems I see is if you don't pay, Mom won't send the kids at all. While Argentina is a signatory to the Hague Convention, in practice Argentina is not huge on enforcing US custody/visitation orders.

The other problem is that you've been paying for 4 years - in order for that to change, you may need to prove a change in circumstance.

Do not microwave grapes

True, maybe the fact that I've been a nice person paying that money for 4 years may penalize me. But, I'm paying that under the current circumstances under which, per current decree, I pay slightly below the 20% child support requirement but she wants to change that to go higher and meet the 20% number. So, if she wants to increase that then I have a right to challenge the travel costs given that by increasing child support that, in fact, changes the circumstances. Granted I'm not judge so have no idea what one would rule here. Mine is a complicated case, as I'm sure many are, and this doesnt even factor yet having to travel 11 hours each way to visit my daughter. I plan on modifying decree to make that balanced so that each parent shares the responsibility of ensuring our child spends adequate amount of time with her father.

You can of course try - but don't count those chickens. If Mom does file for an increase to get you in line with guideline support, she'll likely get it.

Do not microwave grapes

I agree, nothing is a sure thing when you go to court but I have nothing to lose by challenging and requesting a change to kake her pay 50% of travel costs...I already pay 100% of them so there's no downside for me by petitioning it; and there are some very valid arguments to do so given the magnitude of the costs...these aren't $200 flights but $1500

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast