Default Letter of Character Reference

My adult son's lawyer told him that he should get at least one letter of character reference from someone who is not related. My son has anxiety issues and does not have a relationship with anyone who isn't related. His former high school teachers are not going to remember him as two of them didn't when we saw them last year at the annual city parade. My son is very quiet and shy and was often overlooked by his teachers in school.

The only person I can think of to get a character reference from is our family veterinarian. My son has been taking our dogs and parrots there for at least six years, by himself, although I would drive when he was under 16. The vet and him have a good relationship that goes slightly beyond that of the typical veterinarian/client relationship.

Would it be strange to get a character reference from a veterinarian? What kinds of things should be in this letter? I mean, what is the judge or prosecutor looking for in a letter like this?

Thanks.

Default Re: Letter of Character Reference

Having anxiety is not an affirmative defense to violating traffic laws. I don't think it will do you any good.
    Dear Santa. For Xmas this year I want a fat bank account and a slim body. Please don't mix them up again.
    Why do stores in the US have so many undocumented shoppers?

I am confused... what sort of traffic court issue is this concerning?

The traffic violation is an infraction - a moving violation that involves an accident.

The other driver involved in the accident failed to tell the police that he was illegally in my son's lane at the time of impact. My son has an anxiety disorder and was not able to give many details of what happened when he talked to the police. The police decided to charge my son with the moving violation. I'm sure most people would just plead guilty and pay the small fines, but my son is not guilty, so we are taking this to court. It's the principle of the matter, you know?

My son's lawyer said it wouldn't hurt to have at least one letter of character reference. Is that unusual for traffic court?

Well, sort of. The letter(s) won't make any difference at a traffic hearing as far as I know. If someone was illegally in his lane, the insurance company should have found fault. Who do they say was to blame?

Quote Quoting mamabird
    View Post
    My adult son's lawyer told him that he should get at least one letter of character reference from someone who is not related.
    I think your question would be best answered by your son's lawyer. He's the one who is familiar with the case, both parties to the accident, the court
    (and judge) where the matter will eventually be heard. If he's requesting it because that is something he was able to utilize in a positive way or even if it is a last resort attempt, either way, he would know more that anyone here... Lastly, if the only qualifier he gave is that the affiant be a non- relative, I would assume that the vet, being a person and a non-relative would qualify!

1. Sponsored Links