Default Government Won't Comply With Settlement

My question involves criminal law for the state of:California

Hello,
    I have a local government fraud issue where elected officials manipulated public minutes to avoid liability. I live in a small community service district with a publically elected Board of Directors. I had a flooding issue at my house that was the fault of the district. Originally, they verbally stated they would fix the issue. They put it off for a few months and then told me they wanted to hold a meeting on the issue. I was called after the meeting by the general manager and told they refused to fix the issue.

At this point I threatened a lawsuit and asked for the public minutes. Before the minutes came out I was told it was now my neighbors fault and he should fix the issue.

When the public minutes came out there was no mention of the boards denial to fix the issue or any mention that they had planned to fix the issue. They now blamed the neighbor in the public minutes and stated he refused to fix it-this was not untrue. The neighbor was very angry about what they stated in the minutes. At this point I asked for all conversations to be in writing, but they avoided all communication in writing throughout my dealings with them.

Later, I filed a lawsuit in small claims court. Before the case, they denied my access to public documents and I had to subpoena the documents for my case. Documents that I needed were also missing-so they claimed.

The day of the trial they decided to settle and fix the issue, but they verbally denied originally offering to fix the issue at the settlement talks—I assume they were going to tell that to the small claims judge given the settlement talks fell through and it went to court. They still have yet to comply completley with the settlement and I am getting a "dishonest" run-around again.

I called the local County Attorney General, but they said it is a matter for civil court. I also filed a complaint with the local Grand Jury. They wrote back stating that they can’t take every case and I should consider other options.

I have been very taken back by the dishonesty and fraud committed by these elected officials. It is very frusting that they will continue to get away with this type of fraud. I have considered putting up a website to expose them to the community about what happened, but I assume I could face a lawsuit if I did that. Is this a matter for civil court? Is there anything else that can be done?

Default Re: Local Government Fraud Issue

I noticed lots of views but no posts yet. Can anyone share any simular stories?

i wouldl suggest that this topic belongs on one of the other forum sections that deals with issues such as FOIA or Sunshine Laws.

Thanks, can you suggest a specific location as no one is answering.

That's exactly what you are told to expect when you ignore the instruction not to make the first post to your own thread.

You have a stipulated judgment compelling them to do something - we don't know what. They have done part of that something - we also don't know what. If you want to compel them to do the rest of whatever they agreed to do in the judgment, and they won't do so voluntarily, you can attempt to enforce the judgment through the court that issued it.

I appolagize I hit the wrong button. I don't post on forum a lot.

1. Sponsored Links