Default Theft Over $1000 in Tennessee

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Tennessee

I am being charged with Theft over $1000. They said it was $3400 cash from a place that I used to work. I live in Bluff City, Tennessee so my case will be heard in Blountville, Tennessee. I was arrested Nov. 15th 2011, I was bailed out and already had my first court date. They told me that I had not yet been indited and now my next court date is March 1st. At this time they are supposed to appoint a lawyer. This is the first time that I have ever been in any trouble. I am 13 weeks pregnant and going to school full time. What kind of sentence am I looking at with these charges?

Default Re: Theft Over $1000 in Tennessee

this is the basic penalty guidelines:

Class D felony Not less than two (2) years nor more than twelve (12) years in prison. In addition, the jury may assess a fine not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000), unless otherwise provided by statute
    how strictly that is enforced I have no idea. If you have not entered a plea yet, be sure to plead "not guilty" (if you don't, there is no reason in having a trial since you admitted guilt). Then ask for a lawyer.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

I have read about the 2-12 years, but this is my first offense and have read that there is a diversion that can be applied if I plead guilty and take probation, restitution, and possibly community service. I have not entered a plea yet, and like I said I go for a court appointed attorney March 1st. I am trying to figure out what kinds of sentencing is possible.

I gave you what is possible for a conviction of the crime you spoke of. If there is a diversion program available, I cannot say but more importantly, if there is one, will it be offered. Given this is your first offense, I would suspect if there is such a program, it would quite possibly be offered to you.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Uhhhhh Jaaack! The OP referenced a court date more than 30 days ago and this thread is like older.

If "CW" timeliness is exemplified by your exhibited attention to detail then methinks the PLLC may wanna rethink their chosen field(s).

Jus' sayin'.
    "Stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death.
    There is no appeal and execution is carried out automatically without pity."
    Robert A. Heinlein

1. Sponsored Links