Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Buying stolen items and not knowing they were illegal

Hello,

My son recently purchased some items off a so called friend he told him they were legit so I just found out the so called friend got put in jail, The items my son purchased he sold them online cause he thought he was getting a good deal out of them. Well come to find out the State police arrive at his door and was asking him questions was he selling the items online and did he have them and my son told him no but he was scared to death and thought he was going to get taken to jail and locked up for nothing. So im asking should he call the state trooper back and tell who he purchased the items from and if he sent one of them off that he sold to a user online and still has the other what could his charges be? I mean my son has never been in any trouble at all for anything untill this comes up. My son just went through surgery and he is on bedrest and he is scared to death that he will go to jail over this stupid stuff isnt there any laws to help him, Should he try to make it and talk to his attorney monday morning? He does not want to be a nark but it looks like its his only chance of saving himself and to keep from going to jail for the rest of his life Please help us we are a christian family.

Default Re: Buying stolen items and not knowing they were illegal

Quote Quoting therightway
    View Post
    Hello,

My son recently purchased some items off a so called friend he told him they were legit so I just found out the so called friend got put in jail, The items my son purchased he sold them online cause he thought he was getting a good deal out of them. Well come to find out the State police arrive at his door and was asking him questions was he selling the items online and did he have them and my son told him no but he was scared to death and thought he was going to get taken to jail and locked up for nothing. So im asking should he call the state trooper back and tell who he purchased the items from and if he sent one of them off that he sold to a user online and still has the other what could his charges be? I mean my son has never been in any trouble at all for anything untill this comes up. My son just went through surgery and he is on bedrest and he is scared to death that he will go to jail over this stupid stuff isnt there any laws to help him, Should he try to make it and talk to his attorney monday morning? He does not want to be a nark but it looks like its his only chance of saving himself and to keep from going to jail for the rest of his life Please help us we are a christian family.
    My suggestion is he should speak with an attorney. They are doing an investigation and it did lead them to your son; so this isn't going away.

Also, please include the name of your state, so others that may have advice will know what that is. The laws vary from state to state.

I would definately get a lawyer now. Since he lied to the police, he can be charged with obstruction of justice or any other similar statute. If he should have known the items were stolen (like in too good to be true prices) it can be inferred he was aware the itmes were not legally obtained.

I would speak with an attorney ASAP.

What were the items your son bought and sold?

Two Laptops and we live in the Kentucky Area, Please Help!

As several prior posters said, hire a lawyer straightaway.

What is "obstruction of justice or any other similar statute" and why is the invesitgation leading back to my son? I forgot to mention when the state trooper came that night the next morning my son did call him back and he told the state trooper that he was sorry for lieing to him or being hateful it was his meds and that is true after back surgery my son is very hateful and very agervated because of his back. The trooper told him that he would try to swing by his house again last night but he never showed up, my son told him he was sorry and if he could work with him he would give the laptop back and help get the other one he sold back. The state trooper said I dont know we will see he said that we are working with this other countys police office and we have enough information to put you away forever. How could he have enough information to put my son away forever WHEN all my son did was buy items that he did not know were stolen, the so called friend told him he were getting them with a credit card.

obstruction of justice n. an attempt to interfere with the administration of the courts, the judicial system or law enforcement officers, including threatening witnesses, improper conversations with jurors, hiding evidence, or interfering with an arrest. Such activity is a crime.

from: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti...ion+of+justice

Most states have statutes titled as this or with the same intent. I did not research your states particular titles.

regarding "putting him away forever": a threat often used by police to intimidate a suspect into confession. It is not up to the police to establish punishmnet. It is the judges determination as to the punishment.

Specifically because of the statement by the police officer, your son needs to consult an attorney before any other contact with the police. If he is a suspect or is considered to be part of the crime, he needs an attorney NOW before he buries himself by trying to be helpful. Help your son save himself from himself. At this point, he is his own worst enemy.

Dear jk,

Hello and thank you so much for the fast response, Since my son called the police back and asked him could he stop by is it too late? We can talk to a lawyer asap, I was noticing the police was threating him but could my son do something about that? IF we knew the laws good we would have just kept quite and talked to a lawyer, When the state trooper came that night he said OK son if you wanna play hardball I can put YOU "Under The Jail" and then when my son called back he said he had enough evidience on him to put him away for good. I just hope my son doesnt go to jail because he has already just had surgery and he is bedrest and he doesnt need all this strain or worrying its driving him crazy and he constantly sits and worrys that he is never going to be able to walk NOW THIS! Please help us! Thank You all!

The way statutes regarding the receipt of stolen property tend to work is that the person receiving, transporting or transferring the property must have known or REASONABLY should have known that the items were stolen. The state will have to prove that given the circumstances your son knew or should have known the items weres stolen. A BIG clue would be if he purchased a couple $2,000 laptops for $500 or some such thing ... or, if they contained someone else's data, had "property of ..." stickers, etc.

At this point your son needs to "lawyer up" (i.e. be quiet) until he speaks to an attorney. Might he be arrested? Sure. But, an arrest is not a conviction. And if he truly was duped by this guy an attorney can best bring that out. Since he faces potential felony charges, he needs an attorney today ... well, Monday morning.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast