Question How Can I Get a New Job with a Theft Charge on My Record

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maine I have 2 shoplifting/theft charges that are more than 10 years old. I received a third adjudication just over a year ago for the same. I admitted the charge upon my initial court appearance in order to "get it over with". I was lucky to get the job I have by professional recommendation without any background investigation. I am seeking a new job. I feel that if I answer truthfully on an application ("Have you been convicted of a crime?"), then I will not be considered. I can't change that I plead guilty in the past and at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. Is there anything I can do to clean up my bad record?

Default Re: How Can I Get a New Job with a Theft Charge on My Record

Maine has absolutely no expunction or sealing of records. With a pardon, you can answer technically "no" to "Have you been convicted?" but it doesn't erase the records of what was going on. Maine is also one of the EASIEST states to run a background check on people, so they will see all your history, so even in the unlikely event that you are pardoned, you have some 'splainin' to do. You're not currently eligible for a pardon. You have to wait five years from the final disposition. Further, depending on what the degrees of all these crimes are, you may also be ineligible for a pardon.

The bottom line is, whether you answer truthfully or not, a potential employer is going to find out. So, ask yourself this: Is it better to let them know I'm a thief or let them find out I'm a thief and show myself to be a liar, too?

My advice would be to keep your current job (that you admit that you are lucky to have) and earn an impeccable recommendation from that employer. Then, when you can show a spotless criminal record (and, in this instance, I include traffic offenses in "criminal record") for at least 3-5 years, can show an outstanding work history, and have taken whatever training necessary to be FULLY qualified for the position, start looking for a better job. If there is a way to do some volunteer work or something to gain some experience in your desired profession as well, that would be even better.

The job market is tough right now, with more applicants than positions. Few employers are going to take a chance on a three time thief with the last conviction only a year old. You have to know they are going to ask themselves, "He has a history of theft going back more than 10 years. He was last convicted only a year ago...How many thefts has he committed that he never got caught for, and why should I believe that he won't steal anything not nailed down from me?"
    Behind the badge is a person. Behind the person is an ego. This is as it should be, person at the center and ego to the back.

Quote Quoting veggiegirl
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: Maine I have 2 shoplifting/theft charges that are more than 10 years old. I received a third adjudication just over a year ago for the same. I admitted the charge upon my initial court appearance in order to "get it over with". I was lucky to get the job I have by professional recommendation without any background investigation. I am seeking a new job. I feel that if I answer truthfully on an application ("Have you been convicted of a crime?"), then I will not be considered. I can't change that I plead guilty in the past and at the time, it seemed like the right thing to do. Is there anything I can do to clean up my bad record?
    At the risk of stating the obvious, you need to quit shoplifting. The two charges 10+ years old wouldn't matter much to many employers - it's the new charge a year ago that's the problem. (a) It demonstrates a continuing theft problem and (b) will lead many employers to be concerned that you will steal from them. Your conviction history also makes me wonder as an employer how many times you shoplifted and didn't get caught.

The best advice anyone can give you is to clean up your record by stop doing what you're doing. If you have a compulsion to shoplift, then get some counseling to deal with it. You can't change your past history but you can definitely change your history in the making.

1. Sponsored Links