Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Emancipation at Age 16 in Texas

I am a 16-year-old boy living in Texas. I will be graduating high school this year, and would like to gain emancipation while I am still 16. I have read that in order to achieve this I will have to prove that I can support myself and live on my own. My dilemma is, my parents will not let me move out, but I do have the capability to support myself in the manner that is required for emancipation. So, how can I become emancipated if I don't have my parents consent to move out?
    I forgot to mention, I want to do this when I graduate, not right now.

Default Re: Emancipation at Age 16 in Texas

You'll have to prove to the court that you need to be emancipated, of course - and you'll need to prove that you can fully support yourself.

Can you do that? (If the answer to either "no", it's probably pointless going further).
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

If you do not have your parents' permission to move out, then you cannot be emancipated at 16. It really is that simple.

Emancipation is not a right.

I can support myself, I just don't know if my parents will allow me to move out. Thanks for the help, that clears things up.

For the benefit of others, it could help if you explained how - at 16 - you're able to financially support yourself fully (without the aid of room-mates and/or other relatives/friends).

Do not microwave grapes

I do have a room-mate. A friend of mine who is 20. He happens to be graduating high school two years late just as I am graduating two years early. He has agreed to split the rent with me on a $500 apartment we found. My plan for the future involves attending a university to pursue a career in medicinal chemistry, but after high school I plan to get a job at pharmacy as a pharmacy tech. Their pay is decent considering the job does not require anything more than a high school diploma. With certification (which is not very difficult to obtain) they make between $11-12 dollars an hour. This would also be beneficial for me because it is in the field of pharmacy, which is related to the career I plan to pursue.
    My reason for seeking emancipation, however, is not because of any kind of abuse or anything of that sort. I do have a loving family, but being around them causes me severe depression. There's a lot of complicated issues surrounding that that I would not like to discuss on a legal forum, but suffice it to say that continuing to live with them will only drag me further into the depression. Unfortunately, I have no say in whether or not I can move out or become emancipated, but if there's even the slightest chance that I can achieve independence I want to try.

The law in Texas is very clear. A 16 year old CANNOT be emancipated unless they are ALREADY living on their own. If your parents will not give you permission to move out then there is no possible way for you to be emancipated under the law.

Quite frankly, you are not a candidate for emancipation anyway.

Okay, but hypothetically if I were allowed to move out, would I be a candidate for emancipation?

Quote Quoting thefank
    View Post
    I do have a room-mate. A friend of mine who is 20. He happens to be graduating high school two years late just as I am graduating two years early. He has agreed to split the rent with me on a $500 apartment we found.

This would preclude you from convincing the court that you are capable of fully supporting yourself.

My plan for the future involves attending a university to pursue a career in medicinal chemistry, but after high school I plan to get a job at pharmacy as a pharmacy tech. Their pay is decent considering the job does not require anything more than a high school diploma. With certification (which is not very difficult to obtain) they make between $11-12 dollars an hour. This would also be beneficial for me because it is in the field of pharmacy, which is related to the career I plan to pursue.

Good luck with that.

My reason for seeking emancipation, however, is not because of any kind of abuse or anything of that sort. I do have a loving family, but being around them causes me severe depression. There's a lot of complicated issues surrounding that that I would not like to discuss on a legal forum, but suffice it to say that continuing to live with them will only drag me further into the depression. Unfortunately, I have no say in whether or not I can move out or become emancipated, but if there's even the slightest chance that I can achieve independence I want to try.

Again, you do not qualify for emancipation.

Do not microwave grapes

Thank you for the legal help. I guess I'm pretty screwed unless my parents - by some miracle - agree to let me out.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast