Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will the DMV Do a Warrant Check and Arrest You

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Georgia

Will you be arrested at any Georgia DMV is there is a warrant under your name? The reason I ask this is because my brother (twin) has warrants and we both have the same name and date of birth. Only thing that seperates our identities are our social security numbers. I have had problems in the past with being mistaken as him so was considering just going into the DMV with my birth certificate and social security number without mentioning my Texas ID (since i lost it a few weeks ago anyhow) hoping they do not end up remaining tied together. I have had trouble when I lived in Texas getting my Driver License renewed due to a hold that was my brothers and not mine but was never arrested. Just want to make sure to be prepared for what could happen when I walk into the Georgia DMV. I would assume with all the John Smith's out there born on the same day that they have to seperate a person somehow or another probably the reason they ask for your social security number but I do not know how this works. I have a great career and do not need government problems while they figure it out and possibly taint my entire lifestyle while they get their stuff straight. So bottom line. Does Georgia check for warrants from other states when issuing new photo id or driver license? I appreciate your help. *and yes I have a twin brother and 4 half brothers and all of us have the same first and last name and middle initial are all the same and my twin we have the same middle name also named after our dad.

Default Re: Does Georgia DMV Check for Warrants or Arrest People There

You should consider a name change.

The reason I ask this is because my brother (twin) has warrants and we both have the same name and date of birth.
    So, you are both named (as an example) James Roger Polk? Your parents couldn't think of a different name to name your twin?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    So, you are both named (as an example) James Roger Polk? Your parents couldn't think of a different name to name your twin?
    Or for that matter, your 4 half brothers.

Yes JK that is correct actually it is more like this... father name example - john Adam smith, my name john Adam smith Jr., And brother john Adam smith II, then 3 other brothers which are younger named the same except middle name although all of our middle names start with the same letter.

Oh, then you aren't named the same name. There is a Jr. or a II. That makes it a different name. Of course you are correct that there may be confusion.

Your name doesn't happen to be George does it with a last name starting with F? I hear there is a guy out there that likes to name all his kids George after himself.

I am not aware of any DMV being aware of any outstanding warrants and as such, they aren't going to act on them. That just isn't what they do.

If it was me, I would keep a copy of my birth certificate close at hand at all times. If you can get it, I would also carry a copy of your brothers (all of them if possible) so you could show whomever is interested there are two people with almost identical names. Obviously do not get caught trying to use one of the other's BC for anything.

Well I always carry my social security card and birth certificate with me so I beat you to the punch on that one. It has just been hell in the past because the state always tells me they only do a D.O.B., First Name, and Last Name cross reference. Thats why I was hoping that since Georgia requires my social security number that I would not be put through the ringer obtaining all of my identifying documents and would hope to finally relieve myself of association to my brother. no offense to him as he is my blood and a great guy but just made some wrong choices on where he was at the wrong times. The story on why we are all named the same is very long but pretty much in a nutshell is because my father was evading IRS for a while and used all of our information as himself and that has been an ordeal in itself. I went to get DL and they told me it is revoked but when I call the Texas license office they tell me my social does not match the license that is revoked. I can see this being a headache already. not sure where to go or what to do without spending alot of money in the wrong places. I have figured out how the system works though. It is my responsibility to do all the legwork and paper trail chasing for their system faults. Applying for passport soon. hopefully there are no issues there either.

ever consider changing your name?

Default Re: Will the DMV Do a Warrant Check and Arrest You

No DMV has the power to arrest you, most if not all DMV's only deal with your ability to operate a motor vehicle, if any law enforcement agency and or court has placed a hold on your driving privileges, then your license will not be reinstated until you take care of your legal obligations.

Default Re: Will the DMV Do a Warrant Check and Arrest You

at my local county office i see state troopers lingering in the lobby or out back at times but i doubt they would allert police and i doubt their database provides that type of stuff..

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast