Default Walmart Shoplifting Policy

My question involves criminal law for the state of: ID

I'm 21 and was caught shoplifting ~$15 worth of makeup from Walmart (I know, very stupid and it scared the hell out of me). I was confronted after I left the store by a man in plainclothes with a badge and a teenage-looking girl. They asked me if I knew why they stopped me and I said yes, and they took me back inside to a small office. There, I gave back the merchandise and the girl asked for my driver's license, which I gave to her, and took my picture. She then asked for my social security number and had me sign a form (I honestly don't remember what the form was about, I was so worried that I didn't bother reading before I signed it). She said that she would call the manager who could call the police and they could take me to jail. I never saw a manager and after a few minutes the girl told me that they weren't going to call the police or press charges because I complied. After about 10 minutes total, she let me go and said that I'm still allowed inside Walmart stores but obviously if I shoplifted again I would be banned and prosecuted. She told me that this would go on Walmart record but not public record. She gave me a paper with a phone number on it to call to pay my fine, which she said will be between $100 and $250. I don't want to take any risks so I plan on calling the number as soon as their office opens on Monday. However, I'm worried because I've read on other forums that people who paid their fines still received requests from Walmart's law firm for more money. I'm also concerned that maybe I shouldn't have given them my full social security number. If anybody has any advice as to how I should proceed and what could happen, and also if I shouldn't have given them my social security number, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Default Re: Walmart Shoplifting Policy

You will need to pay the fine. If you don't, they can file a Civil Lawsuit (which will be a lot higher than the fine you have); and may decide to press Criminal Charges as well.

The paper you signed was likely an admission of guilt.

Had you not given your SSN, they would have likely called the police and pressed criminal charges.

So this same exact incident happened to me last night, and it ****ing sucks and I'm so ashamed of myself, and it's killing me. But anyways I was just wondering what ended up happening to you? Did they take you to court and press charges? Did they let you go? Should I call them or should I wait until they call me? I just want to get this whole thing resolved and figured out asap before I have an anxiety attack.

Just pay the fine,I would of lied and said I don't know my ss off hand. I wouldn't worry about it just be glad your weren't arrest over 15 dollars,which would of cost you a few hundreds if lucky plus a criminal record. It's a lesson learned the easy way,your name is probably in a shoplifters database which can effect you getting a retail job. Seriously it's done no use going crazy over it,just call and pay the fine. I'm surprised they didn't ban you from the store,that's another break you caught also. The social helps them collect the money.

Quote Quoting tc498
    View Post
    Just pay the fine,I would of lied and said I don't know my ss off hand. I wouldn't worry about it just be glad your weren't arrest over 15 dollars,which would of cost you a few hundreds if lucky plus a criminal record. It's a lesson learned the easy way,your name is probably in a shoplifters database which can effect you getting a retail job. Seriously it's done no use going crazy over it,just call and pay the fine. I'm surprised they didn't ban you from the store,that's another break you caught also. The social helps them collect the money.
    If you did that to me I would have charged you.

1. Sponsored Links