Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Four year old and bike in Iowa

Would the damage caused by the biker be covered by his parents home owners or auto insurance?

In most instances, homeowner's insurance excludes motor vehicles. As far as personal responsibilty for one's children, that's a matter of conscience and decency. If the 'shoe were on the other foot', the child's mother would be mad as hell to think that some miserable child damaged her car...she's selfish and eager to take no blame, whatsoever; quite common in this day and age.

Caring for a child in a responsible manner should certainly include letting the child ride a bike...it should also include letting the care provider park in the driveway or in near proximity upon the street. This lady is a loser and will do harm to her child in the future if she doesn't accept responsibility. Next time it will be a different problem....after that, even more so.

I think he is very generous to offer to sue for damages in excess of $1000 (which I assume to be his deductable) because I would sue for the entire amount. Hopefully, someone will advise him to that effect.

I think we all "get it" in relation to your views on the original poster.

The question was a legal one, though, not a moral one. If you think the law doesn't adequately serve public policy, start hounding the OP's state legislators to change it.

Quote Quoting chuckycheese
    View Post
    In most instances, homeowner's insurance excludes motor vehicles. As far as personal responsibilty for one's children, that's a matter of conscience and decency. If the 'shoe were on the other foot', the child's mother would be mad as hell to think that some miserable child damaged her car...she's selfish and eager to take no blame, whatsoever; quite common in this day and age.

Caring for a child in a responsible manner should certainly include letting the child ride a bike...it should also include letting the care provider park in the driveway or in near proximity upon the street. This lady is a loser and will do harm to her child in the future if she doesn't accept responsibility. Next time it will be a different problem....after that, even more so.

I think he is very generous to offer to sue for damages in excess of $1000 (which I assume to be his deductable) because I would sue for the entire amount. Hopefully, someone will advise him to that effect.
    And you would lose. By the way he is threatening to sue for the entire amount. I asked a legal question....didn't ask for your version of ethics. I noticed you didn't address any of my questions in my last response to you. Bottom line for me is that I hired this girl to watch my son, he was engaging in normal behavior for a 4 year old, and she was not supervising him appropriately. It also seems the statute is on my side. I wonder why you have become so emotionally invested in the other side of the story? I am also curious as to why I would need to give in and pay damages I don't owe for my son to be taught a lesson? Do you you think a four year old has any concept of money yet? Who is to say that I didn't speak with him and have some consequences. But I didn't come hear for parenting advice...my three kids are doing just fine thank you. The only conclusions I can draw from your rant is that you are a bitter person that isn't really interested (or perhaps able) in giving legal feedback.

If you feel that your state's statutes indicate you bear no responsibility, ignore his threats and go on about your life.....and, yes, I certainly do think that a normal 4 year old child can appreciate the concept of money; and many other things.

Quote Quoting chuckycheese
    View Post
    If you feel that your state's statutes indicate you bear no responsibility, ignore his threats and go on about your life.....and, yes, I certainly do think that a normal 4 year old child can appreciate the concept of money; and many other things.

No they cannot...that is why the law is written the way it is. I can tell you do not have a four year old. They only understand money at the most basic level such as you must use money at the store. They do not have any comprehension on the difference between $1 and $1,000. As for my plan....that is exactly what I plan on doing. I came here for some feedback on the interpretation of the legal statute. If this forum is little more than kneejerk emotional reaction than I have obviously come to the wrong place.

If you have a follow-up legal question, please do feel free to start a new thread. I believe your initial legal inquiries have been answered, and this forum is definitely not for emotional reactions.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2