Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Free Boat

I saw a classified ad for a boat that had been wrecked. The person received the boat free without a title and wants to give it away free without title to remove it from his property. I would like to restore the boat as a hobby project, but I would like to know how to get a title for it in Florida. I believe it doesn’t have much as identify marks go as the damage is extensive. I'm willing to take it to an adjacent state if there is some loophole in Alabama or Georgia that I can somehow exploit. I already know what to do if I find a boat that has no title but has identify marks so no need to answer about that. As far as I know about the history the boat was abandoned by a previous owner some where down the line

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Free Boat

You first indicate that you only know about the boat through a classified ad posted by somebody who found a boat crashed on his property (conveniently, with most or all identifying information which would connect the boat with its original owner somehow obliterated). You read that in a classified ad and you're not immediately suspicious? If this is a tale concocted by the person in possession of the boat to cover up the underlying theft of the boat, you may find this thread and this thread to be informative.

If you truly learned of this boat through a classified ad you saw, how would you know that the boat was abandoned by a previous owner? As it seems you do know who the original owner is, you should try to get title through the original owner. If the boat was abandoned, it should be cheap and easy enough to do that.

I, too, recall the first "boat story". They certainly sound related!

I see ads like the following all the time, some without title, some with, all free:

Small Sail boat. Fully functional, however, with small tear in sail. Approx 15 feet, fun to sail with lee boardsand dual tillars.

I'm afraid that I might find my lemon that might be a heavily damaged boat without identification, that I would plan on rebuilding that I would never be able to legaly sail it. Theres only a limited supply of free boats, and I know just because it is a wreck from the middle of nowhere, doesn't mean its always stolen. And in the case it isn't what do you do? Thats my question, not link to not buying stolen boats. I don't want a stolen one, I want a truly abandoned wreck. I'll admit I'm eccentric, but I still want to know how to go about this legaly.

I would be interested in seeing a link to that ad, as well as to the ad for the free boat you originally described. Thanks.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I would be interested in seeing a link to that ad, as well as to the ad for the free boat you originally described. Thanks.
    Well, I didn't want to give away my source, since theres a limited amount, but i'll PM it to you, then you can verify on the forum that at least the articles I'm reading are real, and get legit answers for me. THANKS!

Correction, It won't let me email you, and I really don't want to many people to know....

Heres one

FREE BOAT
    Reply to: xxxx-xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.org
    Date: 2006-07-26, 3:38PM EDT
    17 1/2 ft hull, Mark Twain, no motor, good cond, CALL xxx-xxx-8216. (Mr. Knowitall pm me for full number)

PICK UP ONLY

This one I'm sure has a title, but most of the ones I'm intersted don't. I would like a legit answer. Thanks, and I'm hoping you not trying to scam me out of how I find these, I spent years of research on how to get most of the stuff I want free or heavily discounted.

1976 Kells 28 Sailboat ****CHEAP!!!**** - $200

Reply to: xxxx-xxxxxx@xxxxx.org
    Date: 2006-08-07, 10:52AM EDT

Where else but on xxxxxxx can you buy a 28 foot sailboat for a couple hundred bucks?? it's practically free!!

"Greensleeves" is a 1976 Kells 28 that is just begging for a caring soul to restore her to her former glory. Needs a TOTAL interior restoration and refit. Engine not working and would assume needs replacement or remove & rebuild. Hull and decks appear very sound.

1976 Fiberglass
    Full Keel
    LOA 27' 7"
    Draft 4' 7"
    Beam 9' 2"

Sloop Rig
    6800 lbs.
    Engine Type Inboard (A4?)

Boat is currently on the hard in XXXXX, XX where' it's been out of the water for a number of years and simply neglected.

Be warned: the interior needs COMPLETE gutting and rebuilding.. all cabinets and woodwork rotted.. This is a 1-2 YEAR PROJECT, but it's CHEAP. Call xxx-xxx-2483

Again, this one has title, but alot of the ones in my area in florida(this is in another area) and the ones I'm intersted in, don't always have a title, but I want to know how to go about finding one espeacily if its in pretty bad shape and abandoned.

Default California?

It says your located in california on your info, are you wasting my time, because how can you know florida law? I truly want a legit answer from somebody compenent and informed on how things are done in florida on this type of sale. If your not familiar, please don't waste my time or try to scam me.

Dude! relax! Mr. Knowitall has over 6,800 posts! His knowledge of the law is amazing -- regardless of what state you're in. If he is inclined to give you advice, you can take it to the bank. In the year and a half that I have frequented this forum, I have never known him to post any advice without a thorough knowledge (or he will state that he is not sure).

I think his request was because he was incredulous -- not trying to scam you out of information. He simply could not believe (nor could I) that this was on the up-and-up. I think he was trying to get an idea of whether or not YOU were being scammed by the people trying to "give away" boats, which conveniently had damage to sections which might identify them.

So, pass along the information for him to evaluate, or not. It's totally up to you. But, please refrain from accusing someone of trying to scam you when they were only trying to help.

Barry

There are ads all over the place for free boats with no title, but you can only find examples of boats with titles. You say you don't want us stealing away a boat from under you, but you're clearly focused on a single boat and you're suggesting that you're not interested in these other boats despite their not having any title issues. It's not your time that's being wasted here.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast