Default Bad check written from a closed account

hi A friend of mine wrote a check for me to cover a 800.00 bill to a business.
    i paid him back in 2 days but check came back as closed acct- i been working with the business, but i cant find my friend to get this cleared. i dont have another 800.00 and the business told me he will go to cops tomorrow monring if not paid, all communtions has been verbal, and i havent seen a paper saying the check was bad, just there word. Can i go to jail or etc. or will they go after the friend, is it criminal or civil

Default Re: BAD CHECK/closed acct

The person who wrote the bad check is the person who is in trouble.

Can you prove that you gave the money to your friend? Can you establish for the police that this wasn't a discarded checkbook that you pocketed at the friend's house or got out of a trash bin? Because "I got the bad check from a friend who has disappeared from the face of the earth" is a story the police have heard before, and they will try to track down your friend, who may deny having given you the check or that you paid him back.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Can you prove that you gave the money to your friend? Can you establish for the police that this wasn't a discarded checkbook that you pocketed at the friend's house or got out of a trash bin? Because "I got the bad check from a friend who has disappeared from the face of the earth" is a story the police have heard before, and they will try to track down your friend, who may deny having given you the check or that you paid him back.

ty for the reply- if this goes bad what im i facing in charges if the friend cant be found or denys the claim

Forgery and "Uttering and Publishing" are serious offenses.

Default Re: Bad check written from a closed account

I entered into a agreement with the business, making payments every week. if i miss a payment , they will go to legal action. is this the best way to do it, does the amount of the check or that i made an effort to get this figured out help any.. is it still a major charge.. was told after i get this cleared up i can go after my friend. who btw has not been seen in 2 weeks.

Quote Quoting worriedinmichigan
    View Post
    I entered into a agreement with the business, making payments every week. if i miss a payment , they will go to legal action. is this the best way to do it, does the amount of the check or that i made an effort to get this figured out help any.. is it still a major charge.. was told after i get this cleared up i can go after my friend. who btw has not been seen in 2 weeks.
    If the store is willing to work it out with you and agrees not to take legal action against you, I don't see a problem with that. Why are you trying to figure out if this will help you if they do decide to press charges? Don't miss a payment and you should be fine.

Yes, sue your friend in small claims court.

thanks for the reply, i was wondering because i never had anything like this happen to me and still worried about possible charges- i guess i just a worrier,

Wink Re: Bad check written from a closed account

if you made a partial payment. the buisness looses that right to press charges

And you believe that because....

1. Sponsored Links