Default Can My Boss Cut Me from Full-Time to Part-Time

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Illinois

I've been working full-time as a medical technician at the same facility for a few years. I've never had any complaint from patients, physicians or my employer regarding my work. In fact, I've had many compliments.

We were very busy at the end of year. I came in early and stay late to accommodate as many patients as possible. The manager even thanked me for being so flexible. Now that we've begun a new year, we've been very slow (about half the patient load).

A newly appointed supervisor who doesn't like me has now buddied up with the manager and has turned her against me. Two weeks ago, the manager called me into the office and accused me of saying and doing things that I never said or did, which had nothing to do with my job or my work performance. It was all personal.

This week, my manager informed that she increased the department hours by 10 per week, but she cut my hours from 40 to 30, and hired another technician to work the hours she cut from me. I asked if I could do other things in the office which I am qualified and certified to do. She said no, but she's hiring others to do those other jobs. She explained that this was a business decision, but I know it's completely personal. She and the supervisor are also making my time there difficult and extremely stressful, but I know that's not illegal.

My question is: Can she cut my hours and hire another person who is no more qualified than I am to do the same exact job?

Default Re: Can My Boss Cut Me from Full-Time to Part-Time

Yes, if you do not have a contract to the contrary. I suggest you start looking for a new job.

Unless you have a legally binding and enforceable contract that guarantees that you will always be granted full time hours no matter what, yes, she can cut your hours right to zero if she wants and hire anyone she wants to do the exact same job.

Agree, yes she can as long as you don't have a binding employment contract to the contrary & as long as your hrs. aren't cut (you aren't discriminated against) due to a reason prohibited by law (ie age, religion, gender....). That doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Its always personal. Did you lose any health insurance benefits? I wonder if you can claim unemployment for the lost wages?

And they can hire a monkey to replace you (not to say a monkey can replace you) ... they can hire whoever they want.

look for a new job if you desire ... do it before you get cut loose.

The poster *may* be able to file for partial unemployment for the reduction in hours. The loss or potential loss of health insurance is, however, irrelevant.

1. Sponsored Links