Hybrid View

Default Right Turn on Red Signal Ticket

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of California.
    I made a right turn on a "Yellow as it turned Red" light without stopping. I understand that I needed to stop before making the turn if its Red but I know it takes a few seconds for other cars to actually reach my end of the intersection when there light turns Green so I didnt stop, I slowed looked and made the turn. It wasnt a camera but a cop who saw me. I got a 21453A violation which says I ran a red light. I have been driving for 2 years in California and this is my first ticket and I am an international student. I leave the country in 2 months. I have a $500 ticket now. I extended my court date hoping the cop wont show up on that date. What are the chances I have?? Since its my first ticket, Im an international student with a california driving licensce and I leave the country soon and $500 can last me 3 months living expenses in my home country. What could I do??? Thanks

Default Re: Right Turn on Red Signal Ticket

If you plan on returning to the USA then you should show up on your court date or pay the fine....

You're not a killer but the cop will testify that you went through a red light w/o stopping.

Looking at your posting, your only viable defense is that the light is placed w/o a traffic survey supporting its erection (or its not posted properly, which I never seen with a light) .. but most are erected per the law.

These type of tickets are the hardest to win.

Default Re: Right Turn on Red Signal Ticket

Quote Quoting nuwanh
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of California.
    I made a right turn on a "Yellow as it turned Red" light without stopping. I understand that I needed to stop before making the turn if its Red but I know it takes a few seconds for other cars to actually reach my end of the intersection when there light turns Green so I didnt stop, I slowed looked and made the turn. It wasnt a camera but a cop who saw me. I got a 21453A violation which says I ran a red light. I have been driving for 2 years in California and this is my first ticket and I am an international student. I leave the country in 2 months. I have a $500 ticket now. I extended my court date hoping the cop wont show up on that date. What are the chances I have?? Since its my first ticket, Im an international student with a california driving licensce and I leave the country soon and $500 can last me 3 months living expenses in my home country. What could I do??? Thanks
    By extending your court date, do you mean your first court appearance?

If so, then extending it will do you little to no good considering the officer is not required to appear at the arraignment (the first court appearance when you will enter a plea of guilty and pay the fine or enter a plea of not guilty and request a trial. If the later, the office will be required to appear on the trial date and if he doesn't you can expect a dismissal.

1. Sponsored Links