Default Length of Surveillance Video and Software Used for Detection of Theft

Ive worked for my job in retail for about 3 years. About 7-9 months ago I was having issues paying some bills and regretfully I stole two items worth around $120 to help my with my finances. Since then I have not stolen anything.

The other day me and other co-workers were taken into the back and were questioned about an investigation on a bunch of missing items "more then 2000". I of course have nothing to do with this but a few things that the LP exec brought up scared me a bit.

In relating to the things who talked about I have a few questions.

How long does retail stores like wal-mart, bestbuy, target, etc keep surveillance videos stored? Ive read anywhere from 2 weeks to years.

Related to that the exec brought up that the store has software that can track faces and see detect those people tracked holding merchandise, is this true or was it a ploy to try to coax a confession?

Third I can be assured there is no video of me physical of me opening/pocketing/stealing the items. The only video if they had any would be of me taking items into an area that I work "which does not have cameras because of privacy issues"

If while investigating this current issue if they noticed "using this supposed software" me taking the two items into the back what should I do if they were to confront me with them not having any evidence of the theft and it being almost a year later.

Default Re: Length of Surveillance Video and Software Used for Detection of Theft

Some stores do have Facial Recognition systems in their cameras.

It varies by store as to how long tapes are kept.

If they have video of you taking items into an area without cameras....such as a bathroom...they will have surveillance of you coming out without those items....

Note: Some security systems can zoom in on the UPC tag of an item, even your nose hairs....please look up the Casey Anthony surveillance video - they could list every item she purchased in Target after Caylee went missing...all for mommy, nothing for Caylee....But that will show you how good some security systems can be.

And don't forget those things called Fingerprints that can be left on merchandise packaging....

Default Re: Length of Surveillance Video and Software Used for Detection of Theft

In my situation where IM not being individually looked at for an indecent but as an overall investigation of my department. Any thoughts on if I should let the issues play out, quit, put a two weeks in?

Again they are not investigating ME but my department, and this "indecent" happened close to 9 months ago.

99% of employees that quite, are known to be guilty. Wait-it-out. If they have evidence of any criminal activity from you, you will be arrested regardless if your an employee past or present.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Third I can be assured there is no video of me physical of me opening/pocketing/stealing the items. The only video if they had any would be of me taking items into an area that I work "which does not have cameras because of privacy issues" - There are only two areas in a retail store where there could be an expectation of privacy. One is the bathrooms and the other is the fitting rooms, and depending on what state this took place in. As to the storage of video. Stores don't use "tape" anymore. They use digital video recorders which allow for the storage of much more video that VCR tapes.

The area I work in deals with customer privacy and information so they cannot record there.

My main question is how long do most big stores save video. If there is an average?

Quote Quoting Delios
    View Post
    The area I work in deals with customer privacy and information so they cannot record there.

My main question is how long do most big stores save video. If there is an average?
    If your employers hard drive is a terabyte, and they have two or more hard drives connected so they don't lose any information, they could record for years before the last hard drive was full and the system started recording over the first data stored on the first hard-drive.

So the only person that knows how much storage your employers system can hold is your employer or the company that built there system.

There is no magic number that a typical large employer would have when it comes down to a security system. The bottom line is how much money do they have and how much of that money are they willing to spend to protect themselves.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links