Default 3rd Degree Retail Fraud

The other day I was caught stealing some cosmetics from a local Meijer and was given a letter of civil damages stating that I have to pay the store 10 times the retail price of the property involved, not less then $50 or more then $200 (the total was 27.50 so it ended up being $200). It also states that if I return any unrecovered property (which I had nothing else) and pay the amounts indicated above to us within 30 day after the date this notice was mailed, we will not take any further civil action against you.

The $200 fee is not a problem. What I'm worried about who is allowed to view this information. I had asked the two persons who had apprehended myself two to three times who would have/recieve/know about this information and was told by both in each instance that providing that I never commit retail fraud again that Meijer would hold this information in their files for their further notice if something were to occur in the future. I had also asked them in all seriousness if there is anything important I should be aware of and they said of couse "Don't steal..." and that I would never be able to obtain a job at a Meijer ever (which is fine with me and very understandable). Other then that they made it seem that as long as I did not commit retail fraud ever again and I paid the $200 fee that this wouldn't come back to haunt me....one of them even said "only if you commit retail fraud again will this thing come back to haunt you".

I have absolutly no plans of ever committing a crime in my life again (especially retail fraud...it's just not worth it I have come to find out the hard way). I'm 19 years old and am wondering still about the information regarding the events and who has/will have access to this information. I was led to believe by the two loss prevention persons that only Meijer would have it providing I never commit retail fraud again and was curious on whether or not this is ture. Any more information regarding this issue is greatly appricated.

Default Record of Shoplifting

From what you have stated, Meijer will maintain that record (according to its own record retention policies) within its files. They apparently have told you that they don't disclose those records to others; they are unlikely to do so, as they could face possible defamation claims if unable to substantiate the charges in their files at a later date, but nobody can really guarantee that the information won't somehow be released at a later date, even if by employee misconduct.

Thank you for your information on the subject. I have just a few minor questions about the situation. Just out of curiosity if you (Aaron) or anyone else happens to know whether or not I now have to put down on employment applications where it often asks "Have you ever been convicted of a crime?" or "Have you been convicted of a felony within the past seven years that has not been expunged, sealed, pardoned, discharged, eradicated, or impounded, which is substantially related to the position that you are seeking?"

The other thing I was wondering about is one day how might I go about getting this cleared/expunged/or what not from my record. Before this incident I had a clean record, and what I'm currently most concerned about is whether or not future employers will obtain this information and I will not be able to get a decent job despite what the loss prevention personnel stated.

Again, thank you for your previous post, and to anyone who answers my other questions. Sorry if I am at all repetitive in what I say or ask, but I've never been in this kind of situation before so any information is good information to me.

Default Shoplifting & Future Employment

From what you have said, you weren't arrested and haven't been charged with anything. If that is the case, you weren't arrested for or convicted of a crime.

Default Re: 3rd Degree Retail Fraud

a Conviction means you were arrested, charges were filed and you were convicted in a court of law, by a judge, or jury depending on the seriousness of the crime. but unless they filed charges against you and you had to go to court and recieve sentencing, your cool.

even if an employer runs your background, nothing you weren't convicted of will show up.

Default Re: 3rd Degree Retail Fraud

Quote Quoting thegirl
    a Conviction means you were arrested, charges were filed and you were convicted in a court of law, by a judge, or jury depending on the seriousness of the crime. but unless they filed charges against you and you had to go to court and recieve sentencing, your cool.

even if an employer runs your background, nothing you weren't convicted of will show up.
    Thegirl, this thread is over a year old. You will notice in the upper, left corner, there is a date.

1. Sponsored Links