Default Are There Laws Against Bullying By Your Boss

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Florida
    My boss tend to "flip" out every so often. It can be over anything. Its almost like a bi polar type situation. When he does get mad he tends to scream and yell. He will swear allot. He will talk down to us and compare our performance to that of a fifth grader. We try to do what he says to do but as soon as we do he changes his mind and doesn't want to do it that way. There really isn't a right way to do anything. No matter how you do something, it is usually wrong. My question is, if I have to quit because I can not handle being talked to the way he talks to me what are my rights? Will I be able to collect unemployment? Should I be documenting his tantrums? I believe that there is laws against his abusive actions, but just not sure where I stand. He is a Dr. and there is myself and 2 other women that work in the office.
    Thanks for any help or advise.

Default Re: Bully Boss

Being a rude, inappropriate jerk of a boss is not, unfortunately, illegal.

If you are unhappy at work you can of course quit, but I do not see you getting UI based upon what you've said here.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

if I have to quit because I can not handle being talked to the way he talks to me what are my rights? You will have the right to look for a new job.

Will I be able to collect unemployment? No.

Should I be documenting his tantrums? You can if you want to but there's really no point. EVEN IF this rose to the level of illegal activity, which it does not, your employer is too small to be subject to the applicable laws at either the state or Federal level.

I believe that there is laws against his abusive actions, but just not sure where I stand. There are no laws against an employer having a temper tantrum. It's not very professional but neither is it illegal; nor does this constitute abuse under the law.

Just egg him on .. when he is ranting just say "soooo, what are your trying to say?"

I trust that the above poster is joking and is not really suggesting that you be insubordinate to someone with a flash temper.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I trust that the above poster is joking and is not really suggesting that you be insubordinate to someone with a flash temper.
    I suppose the phrase "Physician!!! Heal thy self" is out too?

lol, are you my boss?

Sometimes the only thing to do when you have a "bad" boss is to look for other employment. However, do not quit until you have other employment - you will not get UI if you quit.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    yes, joking ..... I had a boss just like the OPs ... but I would just look at him like he was crazy

My question is, if I have to quit because I can not handle being talked to the way he talks to me what are my rights?

You have the right to leave this job anytime you wish to. You also have the right to start looking for a new job.

Will I be able to collect unemployment? No.

Should I be documenting his tantrums? There's no point. Your boss isn't doing anything illegal.

I believe that there is laws against his abusive actions, but just not sure where I stand. He is a Dr. and there is myself and 2 other women that work in the office. There are no laws that prohibit the boss from being an abusive jerk.

I feel for your situation - I had a boss like that once. When I decided I'd finally had enough of his behavior, I started looking for another job and resigned when I accepted an offer elsewhere. I suggest you do the same thing. This doctor is obviously going to have a lot of turnover throughout the years of his practice but that's his problem, not yours. Start looking for a new job right away. Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links