Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is it legal to run your credit without your permission?

Hi!

Ok…my friend got this letter in the mail… it was an offer for guaranteed car loan approval from "said company"… which we thought was an auto loan finance company or something… but it turns out they just get leads and sell them to local car dealerships…

So anyway… he called… gave them HIS information…

Some dealer close by was assigned and my friend got an email or phone call etc…

Anyway… my friend's girlfriend decided to go on line and check out the said company… and applied on line with my HER information… she was assigned to a dealership locally… she started dealing with the guy he was very professional and by the book… he inquired on her credit and asked the questions to get started… when they had agreed on vehicle and amount down and payments he then started putting thru the actual loan request… of course you get denied by about 7 before someone gives in and he called and told her she had the approval and she could come in on that Saturday and it would be a go ahead… she did and it was… and everything was fine…

Now back to my friend's thing… he was just trying to get approval for his girlfriend… after he got denied he told them it was for his girlfriend anyways and they asked for her info. he gave them the amount she makes monthly and her ssn and DID NOT ASK HER FOR PERSMISSION TO RUN HER CREDIT. now a week goes by and they sent a letter to him and he called them and he told them his girlfriend already got a car and forget it… no harm no foul… or so they thought… turns out they did not just inquire like they were supposed to… they put actual loan packages thru to finance companies and banks… and now they are getting denial letters… weeks after she had already got a car… the worst part is they never spoke to her… and had no permission to use her information… they did anyway… she never spoke about a vehicle or amount… nothing… with them, only the boyfriend… even though he had my permission to give them my info… they never got my permission to use it.. is this legal.. ??

Default Re: Is it legal to run your credit without your permission?

You want to know if she should sue her boyfriend?

no but that is funny! I want to know if the party he gave her basic info to is liable?

I don't know enough about the situation to guess. That's the problem with second-hand accounts - you often don't get necessary detail.

what type of lawyer should she inquire from ?

"even though he had my permission to give them my info… they never got my permission to use it"

Are ya kiddin me? lol
    Unethical, maybee. Illegal, probably not.
    They can't run a credit check on you without the info.
    They had the info, so they ran a report. I can't blame em!!
    I got 3 denial letters 2 weeks after my car loan. Only 1 showed up on my credit report as an inquiry.
    The dealerships USUALLY run a credit check on you, and report to the banks what that info contains. That way, there's only 1 credit check, from the dealership. At least, thats how it was last year with me, here in massachusetts.
    Go grab your credit report ( for free ), and check.
    creditexpert.com is what I use. It also shows your credit score ( not alot of places show you that without an extra fee)
    Unlike the rest of your credit report, you don't have to wait untill the beginning of the month to see a change in your CREDIT INQUIRIES. If somone pulls your credit monday, you will see it on Tuesday.
    Also, there's 2 types of inquiries.
    Hard and soft.
    Soft doesn't effect you in any way, and happens all the time.
    The hard inquiries is what effects your credit score.

The site mentioned above may give a credit score (I haven't tried it), but it is a subscription site. So read the terms carefully and if you sign up, make sure you cancel on time and in the required manner or you will end up paying subscription fees.

I personally use AnnualCreditReport.com - where you can get your credit report free (no strings attached) from each of the major credit bureaus once per year, but if you want it they do charge for your score.

Thanks aaron.
    Yes, make sure you cancel within the 30 days, or the site I mentioned will charge $10 a month.

credit expert is experian's site. you can also use transunion's site truecredit to monitor all 3 bureaus and FAKO scores. all charge a subscription fee. mine is 9.95 a month. you can pull once every 24 hours if you wish.

thanks for the info I will pass it on to her =)

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast