Default My Boyfriend is a Felon, Can My Ex Take Custody of Our Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Pennsylvania

I have a pfa against my ex because he hit me on two separate occasions. We are still married and I am about to file for divorce. (been separated 1.5 yrs) I recently began dating a man who is on parole for conspiracy to commit robbery. He served 5 years for selling drugs and conspiracy to commit robbery. He has a pretty extensive criminal record, but nothing involving domestic violence or children. The only thing he has involving children is corruption of a minor for committing a robbery when he was 18 with a person that was 16. He's changed his life around and he is doing everything he has to do to live his life the right way. My soon to be ex husband also has retail theft on his record, along with the pfa I have against him for domestic violence. My ex knows nothing about my boyfriend, all he knows is that I am with him. However, my ex has threatened to take custody away from me of our child if I EVER introduce my boyfriend to our daughter. I run a stable home, I have no criminal history, I've never even gotten a ticket. However, when my ex husband cheated on me, I hacked his ex girlfriends facebook and email to keep tabs on whether or not they were contacting each other still. So he uses that as a threat. He says that he'll tell her about it and get her to press charges against me so that he can get custody of my daughter. To make matters WORSE, I may be pregnant by my current boyfriend, so if I am, he and I will be living together, which means he'll be around my daughter. I know this is a messy situation, but my question is, can my ex get custody of my daughter IF my boyfriend is around her?

Default Re: My Boyfriend is a Felon, Can My Ex Take Custody of Our Child

He can certainly make that argument to the court and ask for that.

The only thing he has involving children is corruption of a minor for committing a robbery when he was 18 with a person that was 16.
    Not a trivial thing, and something your husband can certainly attempt to exploit to convince a court that one environment for the child is better than the other.

when my ex husband cheated on me, I hacked his ex girlfriends facebook and email to keep tabs on whether or not they were contacting each other still. So he uses that as a threat. He says that he'll tell her about it and get her to press charges against me so that he can get custody of my daughter
    So instead of leaving him, you engaged in a potential federal crime. Yes, they can attempt to exploit that as well. Whether the federal prosecutor would carry through on the charge or not, only they could tell you. But yes, those actions taken could have severe consequences for you - not so much in the custody case, but if you get convicted on a charge like this, you won't keep custody if sentenced to federal prison. Never a good idea to post admitting to committing a crime. Savy prosecutors and exs find such things more often than people realize. If you've committed a crime, and are worried about the potential consequences, you need to be speaking to an attorney and ONLY an attorney about such matters, lest a blatant confession in a public space come back to haunt you.

To make matters WORSE, I may be pregnant by my current boyfriend, so if I am, he and I will be living together, which means he'll be around my daughter
    You need to be aware that because you're still married, by default, your husband is going to be the legal father of the child you're carrying. Your BF will need to acknowledge paternity and you'll need to make sure that issue is addressed in your divorce, lest your husband seek custody of BOTH children (since the divorce cannot be finalized until after the actual birth of the child).
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

I would put the kids up for adoption .... what kind of environment is this? Sounds like you like on Riker's Island.

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    He can certainly make that argument to the court and ask for that.

Not a trivial thing, and something your husband can certainly attempt to exploit to convince a court that one environment for the child is better than the other.

So instead of leaving him, you engaged in a potential federal crime. Yes, they can attempt to exploit that as well. Whether the federal prosecutor would carry through on the charge or not, only they could tell you. But yes, those actions taken could have severe consequences for you - not so much in the custody case, but if you get convicted on a charge like this, you won't keep custody if sentenced to federal prison. Never a good idea to post admitting to committing a crime. Savy prosecutors and exs find such things more often than people realize. If you've committed a crime, and are worried about the potential consequences, you need to be speaking to an attorney and ONLY an attorney about such matters, lest a blatant confession in a public space come back to haunt you.

You need to be aware that because you're still married, by default, your husband is going to be the legal father of the child you're carrying. Your BF will need to acknowledge paternity and you'll need to make sure that issue is addressed in your divorce, lest your husband seek custody of BOTH children (since the divorce cannot be finalized until after the actual birth of the child).
    I really appreciate your help. This is a very messy situation and it's not something I ever thought I'd be in the middle of.

Quote Quoting davidmcbeth3
    View Post
    I would put the kids up for adoption .... what kind of environment is this? Sounds like you like on Riker's Island.
    My child is not around my boyfriend. I run a very stable home. I have never been arrested, never tried ANY drugs not even marijuana, I don't smoke and I don't drink, I don't yell at, cuss at or hit my child. I work and I go to nursing school. My child is VERY well taken care of. When her father and I were together and he hit me in front of her, I left him...99% of my reason for leaving him was because I want her in a good environment. He committed retail theft before I met him and he now works and does the right thing. We just simply do not get along and I'm not going to have her in a hostile environment. Yes, I made a STUPID mistake before she was born and did what I did when I was cheated on. It was years ago and it was a dumb mistake. As far as my bf, he also obtained his record before I met him and is now working and doing the right things in life; so much so, that he was recently awarded custody by the state of a friends son. I have never even gotten a parking ticket! Never been pulled over or questioned by police about anything. If I didn't care about my child/children, I wouldn't be on here seeking advice. I asked the question because there is NO way I'm going to allow my relationship to potentially cause me to lose my child. It's very harsh to suggest that a child/children who are not being neglected or abused and who are in a nurturing environment with their mother be put up for adoption. That was just hurtful and unnecessary.

My child is not around my boyfriend. I run a very stable home.
    I hacked his ex girlfriends facebook and email to keep tabs on whether or not they were contacting each other
    I can honestly say I am so overcome with laughter, I am speechless when it comes to a reply.

1. Sponsored Links