Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ticket for not stopping completely in Illinois

Hi, I have never recieved a ticket. first time. I get little awards from the dmv from illinois that im a great driver. lol. ive been driving for 20 yrs. today. i came to teh stop sign. about 2-3 feet from white line, i stopped completely , as i alsways do, then crept up to make sure no traffic. made my right turn, and next block was a police officer, and she pulled me over saying that i did a rolling stop. i didnt knwo what she meant , she said i didnt stop at the stop sign completely. I ve alwasy been taught to respect the officer, i told her i never got a ticket dont know what to do, she said she was writing me a citation. I asked her a few questsions. like what do i do next, or why i couldnt just get a warning. she gave me the ticket, and my license back, and said i had to pay a 75 ticket. and i dont have to go to court. thirty minutes later i went to the staion to find out more, and she was there, and she came to the window , which was useless bc she said the same stuff. I went back to the corner wehre i got the ticket. first of all, where she was parked she could not even see if a car stopped on the white line. there was a fence blockin her view. i went and parked where she was, and there is no view. especially if i stopped 2 feet from teh white line, then crept up and thats why she said i did a rolling stop. even if i stopped on the white line exactly on it, and looked to my right, all i see if fence. so u have to creep up after that. and definetely can not see the next block bc of the fence. and can not even see her or any car or anything. i want to fight this. do i have a chance? i will take video evidence, i will take pictures. I am so miffed that so many people get warnings, and i pride myself on safe driving, and a waring would have been perfect. and on top of that, she couldnt even see me or any car stopping at the line. i think she was a new cop, she looked very very young, and i think she was ticket trigger happy. any advice would be helfpul. has anyone ever won against a police officer in the traffice stop situation? is it possible. if it comes down to her word vs mine, i have teh video evidence that she could not have possibly seen me, only time she saw was afterwards when i crept thru it , once i passed the fence that was in her way. thanks again.

Default Re: Ticket for not stopping completely in Illinois

If things are truly as you state, of course you have a chance. If the officers view was blocked so as to not be able to see you when you were within the required distance from the sign and you can prove it and you did stop, I would think you have a good chance of beating it.

The thing is, how much time and effort is this worth to you. With nothing else on your record, the impact (insurance is about the only thing this may affect) should be very minimal.

It is a lot of work to properly defend yourself in court although you could simply just tell the truth. That usually doesn't work without some evidence to back you up though.

Just in case, bring your good driver awards with you to impress the judge.

the cop said i would get supervision and just pay the 75dollars. and if no tickets in 90 days. its off the record. my next question is if i fight it in court, adn lose, does the judge still offer me supervision or is he pissed that i brougth it to court adn will just fine me and put in on my record?

if you fight it, you probably will not get a diversion program.

You have been offered the simplest way out with no lasting effects. There is no real reason to fight it in this case. If you win, you end up with really nothing more than if you accept the diversion program and complete it.

My guess is that you really did stop but, hey, life is a compromise....I would follow JK's advice!

what is a diversion program? is that the same as supervision? I dont to admit guilt for something i did not do. And there is no possible way she could have seen anythiing with the huge fence in the way. If i lose the case, will the judge still offer me supervision and the fine. or will he be pissed and take away the supervision possibility? thanks

In all likelyhood, the officer will testify that she COULD see the legal stopping position. It very well could come down to your word against hers, and since the cop is recognized as an officer of the court, her testimony will be treated as credible. Video is very compelling though.

If you DO fight, I wouldn't say I stopped BEFORE the line. That is not the legal position. Right on the line IS, irreguardless of where the sign is.

Book

I suspect a supervision program in your area is the same as a diversion program in mine. They sound like the same thing.

to Bookm's post: off hand I can't tell you how close you do have to be to the stop bar or stop sign for it to be considered acceptable but I believe it is either 10 or 20 feet in my state. If you are going to fight this, you will need to know for sure and then put something that distance from the stop point and go to the cop spot to see if your object can be seen from that spot.

This same thing happened to my brother, of course this was in the State of Oregon. The officer was in a bad mood according to my brother, and ticketed him for a "California Stop" - a rolling stop. However, he didn't roll through the stop and the officer couldn't have seen the position of the actual stop due to the road went uphill and the top of the vehicle is not visible from that distance (trees, etc.) until the car is actually infront of the white line.

My brother faught it, he took a white car similair to a police car and parked it at the position of the vehicle. He rented two video cameras and recorded him pulling up, coming to a complete stop, rolling up and then accellerating to make the turn. He asked the officer to go to the stand, and using the video from the police car asked the officer if this was what happened. He then played the video tape of his coming to complete stop, then rolling up and accellerating for the turn. The officer denied this is what happened, claiming that the video was fake. However, the judge agreed that the officer couldn't have actually seen the full stop, and threw out the cost.

Of course, the ticket for him was more then $90. Fighting, might be difficult because of course the video could be faked. However, in some cases such as my brothers, a simple video tape or picture can warrant a mistake on behalf of the police officer - they aren't perfect.

i did take some pics today. and the cop was on the next block over, but the block was so far down. and i took pics . the only place she could have seen anything on an angle would have been if she was parked in the street. lol. do judges really look in favor of the driver if he has proof, and has ohter driving offenses in 20 yrs?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast