Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Am Homeless Because My Child Support Order Makes It Impossible for Me to Live

My question involves child support in the State of: Ohio

So I have a rough situation in which I am finding no answerer for, so I post here. I am 23 have a four year old daughter in which the mother has custody of. I am ordered to pay child support which I kept up in this first year then lost my job due to a robbery in the store I worked at. I was an assistant manager at a family dollar. It was the best job i was able to get having no HS Diploma (I have got my GED since). After I lost that job it was almost two years before I could get a new job the child support kept adding up debts. I could not call or get a hold of the CSEA. I was poor homeless living in the woods. After the 2 years is up I ended up working for minimum wage as a bus boy putting in 40 hours a week and bringing $50 home every week. The CSEA orders me to court and I walked 40 miles to get there (I don't drive and can't afford a car with 50$ a week). When I plead my case, the employee I spoke to lacked any concern for what I was saying and said that this will continue. I am not trying to avoid child support or not be in my daughter life but the CSEA has made it to where I am physically incapable of spending time with my daughter, having a place for her if she ever wants to see her dad or do anything at all. I love my daughter and it is killing me inside that the 50$ a week I make is barely enough for me to eat, to live out in the woods, I have been trying so hard to do something about it but at this point it seems impossible the court will not hear me out on anything I just need some help someone tell me what can I do, Please help me!

Default Re: I Am Homless Because My Child Support Order Makes It Impossible for Me to Live

40 hours at min wage is a lot more than $50/week.

have you actually tried to modify the current order? As in, filed paperwork (as opposed to simply talking to people there)?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: I Am Homless Because My Child Support Order Makes It Impossible for Me to Live

Quote Quoting jcertain
    View Post
    lost my job due to a robbery in the store I worked at.
    That would have been the time to petition the court to modify the order based on your change of circumstances. If you never notify the court, the order stays the same, and child support services comes after you for the amount in the order. The clerks at child support services can't make changes - only a JUDGE changes the amount, and until a judge actually DOES so, the arrears simply continue to add up.

After I lost that job it was almost two years before I could get a new job the child support kept adding up debts.
    Yep. That's what happens. The amounts keep adding until you petition for a change in COURT.

I could not call or get a hold of the CSEA.
    They couldn't help you anyway. They would tell you to go to COURT. CSEA collects what the court tells them to. If you want the court to tell them something different....guess where you go.....

I was poor homeless living in the woods. After the 2 years is up I ended up working for minimum wage as a bus boy putting in 40 hours a week and bringing $50 home every week. The CSEA orders me to court and I walked 40 miles to get there (I don't drive and can't afford a car with 50$ a week).
    Ok, at now at least we know you can GET to court. That's good. Bad part is that you've had 2 years to get there, and didn't, not until CSEA brought a case against you for not paying. Now you're looking at arrears on top of what the normal payments were - at least UNTIL you request that modification.

When I plead my case, the employee I spoke to lacked any concern for what I was saying and said that this will continue.
    The employee's job is to collect money on behalf of a dependent child. The place to get concern about your financial situation and how it has drastically impacted your ability to pay child support is from the judge in the court when you petition for modification.

I am not trying to avoid child support or not be in my daughter life but the CSEA has made it to where I am physically incapable of spending time with my daughter, having a place for her if she ever wants to see her dad or do anything at all.
    CSEA isn't the bad guy here. They are ORDERED by a court to collect a certain amount. Your problem is with the court that issued the order, and will continue to be in that court until you bring the situation to the COURT'S attention, by filing a motion for modification so that the judge can assess the situation and alter the amount. By waiting this long, the arrears alone are making things problematic.

I love my daughter and it is killing me inside that the 50$ a week I make is barely enough for me to eat, to live out in the woods, I have been trying so hard to do something about it but at this point it seems impossible the court will not hear me out on anything I just need some help someone tell me what can I do, Please help me!
    So far it appears that you've been to court because CSEA filed againt you over the payment of support. You were the respondent, not the plaintiff (one asking FOR something). If you want the court to hear you, then YOU need to file a petition of your own ASKING the court to reassess your situation for a more equitable support amount.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    40 hours at min wage is a lot more than $50/week.

have you actually tried to modify the current order? As in, filed paperwork (as opposed to simply talking to people there)?
    Yes I have asked for a modification I was told that they only modify every two years

And my weekly pay comes out to exactly 52.35 at exactly 40 hours after taxes and child support

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    That would have been the time to petition the court to modify the order based on your change of circumstances. If you never notify the court, the order stays the same, and child support services comes after you for the amount in the order. The clerks at child support services can't make changes - only a JUDGE changes the amount, and until a judge actually DOES so, the arrears simply continue to add up.

Yep. That's what happens. The amounts keep adding until you petition for a change in COURT.

They couldn't help you anyway. They would tell you to go to COURT. CSEA collects what the court tells them to. If you want the court to tell them something different....guess where you go.....

Ok, at now at least we know you can GET to court. That's good. Bad part is that you've had 2 years to get there, and didn't, not until CSEA brought a case against you for not paying. Now you're looking at arrears on top of what the normal payments were - at least UNTIL you request that modification.

The employee's job is to collect money on behalf of a dependent child. The place to get concern about your financial situation and how it has drastically impacted your ability to pay child support is from the judge in the court when you petition for modification.

CSEA isn't the bad guy here. They are ORDERED by a court to collect a certain amount. Your problem is with the court that issued the order, and will continue to be in that court until you bring the situation to the COURT'S attention, by filing a motion for modification so that the judge can assess the situation and alter the amount. By waiting this long, the arrears alone are making things problematic.

So far it appears that you've been to court because CSEA filed againt you over the payment of support. You were the respondent, not the plaintiff (one asking FOR something). If you want the court to hear you, then YOU need to file a petition of your own ASKING the court to reassess your situation for a more equitable support amount.

I have no Idea of how to go about petitioning the court will I have to get a lawyer for such a thing or call the court? I am having a hard time with all of this

No, you'll need to either file a petition yourself or hire an attorney.

What you were told is right - sort of. You can request a review every 2 years if there has been no change in circumstance - but in your case, you lost your job after the order was made, correct? That's a change in your circumstances.

information and forms here

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    No, you'll need to either file a petition yourself or hire an attorney.

What you were told is right - sort of. You can request a review every 2 years if there has been no change in circumstance - but in your case, you lost your job after the order was made, correct? That's a change in your circumstances.

information and forms here
    I can't afford an attorney. I did explain that I had a change in circumstance. I still got told I had to wait 2 years before any modifications could be made.

Either way since it has been 2 years since the original order was made, you should file to request a review and modification.

I must warn you though that if the court thinks that you're capable of earning what you were earning at Family Dollar (in other words they consider you underemployed), there's a chance that the modification will be denied.

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Either way since it has been 2 years since the original order was made, you should file to request a review and modification.

I must warn you though that if the court thinks that you're capable of earning what you were earning at Family Dollar (in other words they consider you underemployed), there's a chance that the modification will be denied.
    So in other words the court works on a one sided basis. That is a little unfair. I have been trying to improve my life by going back to school earning a GED completing a certification course and receiving my certification in Medical Assisting and in the midst of trying to better my life I am still going to get nothing for it? While my ex works as an RN owns her own house with her husband has no financial troubles whatsoever? All I want to do is make enough money to get an apartment have my daughter come visit and stay with me, and the court makes seem like all I want to do is abandon my daughter which I could never live with myself If I did.

Where do you get that it's one-sided? *confused*.

No matter what you're doing, your child needs to be supported by both parents. Your ex's husband has no responsibility to support your mutual child, so his income doesn't matter at all.

Let me put this another way? Say for example, you're earning $250k/year. Your child support is set based on that income. You get laid off, and instead of going to work in a similar area, you choose to work at McDonald's - would it be fair to reduce the child support?

Do not microwave grapes

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Where do you get that it's one-sided? *confused*.

No matter what you're doing, your child needs to be supported by both parents. Your ex's husband has no responsibility to support your mutual child, so his income doesn't matter at all.

Let me put this another way? Say for example, you're earning $250k/year. Your child support is set based on that income. You get laid off, and instead of going to work in a similar area, you choose to work at McDonald's - would it be fair to reduce the child support?

I know her husband has no responsibility and I am not arguing that my daughter needs supported. So the fact that I mad 30k a year the court expect me to continue to make that much even though due to the amount lost in the robbery and my lack of education in business prevents me from ever getting a job in that career field? I just do not see how it is fare for me to be totally struggling trying my hardest to survive on what I make, while my ex makes 50K a year on her own. I mean I have nothing but a rifle that was my grandpa's a computer a friend gave me and I tent I put up way out in the woods, I get denied any state help for the very fact I owe on child support. Is this justice?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast