Default Married Before Divorce Was Final

My question involves a marriage in the state of: Many

I started reading some of the cases on here because I have an ex husband that can't let go. Now after reading many of the situations on here it has open more questions for me. What started me to look here on this site was because my ex husband is very vindictive and has brought up my past. I have been married to him twice the first time many years over 10 and then this time for several more. My first question is: during our first divorce(iowa) I had married someone (nevada) a month before my divorce was final. Does that make my marriage to that man null and void? This is where it becomes worse, within the following year I re married the man I divorced he stated to me that since the divorce was not final that the marriage was not legitimate and that by re marrying him we are fine? That basically I was never married to the nevada man. We remarried in oregon. There has been a second divorce (iowa) to that man I remarried.

I started calling getting my dates and I also am finding that when I married the 2nd ex husband for the first time my first divorce (oregon) from my first marriage was not final either. When I married (california) the second husband I was a few days from the divorce being finalized with the first husband. Ugh this is such a quandary that I just don't want to bite me in the rear in the end.

So basically am I still married to the man in Nevada? Are my marriages and divorces from the same man legal? or are they too null and void because I was not fully divorce from my original marriage by three days?

Thank you for your time and help!!!

Default Re: Married Before Divorce Was Final

Obviously you need to stop being this careless. Bigamy is a crime.

From what you say, you were married to husband #1 and that marriage ended in divorce. That marriage is over by virtue of the divorce.

From what you say, even though your divorce was not final, you married and divorced husband #2. That marriage is over by virtue of the divorce.

From what you say, before your second divorce was final you remarried husband #1. Although you weren't divorced from husband #2 at the time, it would seem that you (or your spouse) would be able to defend against a challenge to the third marriage based upon the voidable nature of the second marriage.

obviously I know it is a crime and this was not intentional. This is a matter that has come up due to the ex telling me it was ok to remarry him because the marriage was supposedly null and void at the time and now he is using it against me. So I am trying to find out if I need to divorce this other person so then all the marriages are ended in divorce!

The validity of a bigamous marriage depends on the state it took place in. Most however make a bigamous marriage either void from the outset or voidable.

A marriage in Nevada OR California is VOID on the outset if you were still married. There's no divorce or annulment needed.
    Iowa declares it to be void unless you live with each other until the divorce or death of the prior spouse at which point it is valid.
    I'm not sure about Oregon, but I think it is not outright voidable.

I can't quite track all the dates, locations, and spouses you are involved in. If you want to give a better:

Maried Mr. A. in Oregon in Dec 2005
    Marired Mr B. in Iowa in June 2008
    Divorced Mr. A in Oregon July 2009 etc../
    we might be able to unravel it, but frankly... I'd get a lawyer involved a this point.

I'm confused over when you married whom and where.

Flyingron,

did you receive my message I sent directly to you? It has been a few days and of course the holidays so I wanted to make sure it was sent. Thank you for your time

That's because I don't, as a rule, read or respond to PM.s

Well you ask for specifics so that is the only reason why I sent it to you like that

1. Sponsored Links