Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Emancipation in Texas for 16 Years Old

I am 16 years old. My parents and I had and having some complicated problems. I want to emancipate from my parents. I read the law and I noticed 1 requirement which is self-supporting and managing the minor's own financial affairs.
    What are some proofs to show the court?
    Will anything change even if my parents are agree with my decision?(Easier to emancipate?)
    After emancipate, can I move to another state?
    Thank you!

Default Re: Emancipation in Texas for 16 Years Old

Since you have read the threads on emancipation in Texas, and thus are asking this question because you're already living independently and supporting yourself, it shouldn't be too difficult to document to the court the source of income that lets you pay all of your bills, as well as what you're paying for rent, utilities, food, etc., with your own income, thereby establishing that you are self-supporting.

If you are emancipated, you have to investigate the laws of the other state to see how they regard a foreign order of emancipation. Some states emancipate for very limited purposes.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Since you have read the threads on emancipation in Texas, and thus are asking this question because you're already living independently and supporting yourself, it shouldn't be too difficult to document to the court the source of income that lets you pay all of your bills, as well as what you're paying for rent, utilities, food, etc., with your own income, thereby establishing that you are self-supporting.

If you are emancipated, you have to investigate the laws of the other state to see how they regard a foreign order of emancipation. Some states emancipate for very limited purposes.
    My main purpose is to move out to become resident of Virginia for in-state tuition when I become a college student. Is there any easier way to move out which is not require the emancipation?

Your plan incorporates faulty logic. If you are self supporting, due to work, you will no longer be self supporting,when you quit your job to move.

Getting your parents' permission.

Oh, you mean a way that you can move out without emancipation and without parental consent but in such a way that your parents can't drag your butt back home?

No, there isn't.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Getting your parents' permission.

Oh, you mean a way that you can move out without emancipation and without parental consent but in such a way that your parents can't drag your butt back home?

No, there isn't.
    what if I have my parents' permission. Do I need emancipation? I want to move to another state and live with another unrelated adult. Is it possible?

If yes, what paperwork my parents and I need to sign and where can I get it?

Yes, your parents can transfer custody or guardianship to a third party. It may be that POA is all that's required - you need to check with the schools themselves. A quick consult with a local attorney - both here and in the other state - might be worthwhile.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

IF you have your parents' permission to move out of state and live with an unrelated adult (assuming that we are not talking about a 18 year old girlfriend but someone, preferably of the same gender, who is at least a decade older than you) the you do not need to be emancipated. However, your parents would be wise to discuss with an attorney the drawing up of a temporary guardianship that would allow this unrelated adult you are being so cagey about identifying, to enroll you in school, get you medical care if needed, etc.

That unrelated adult is 9 years older than me and live in Virginia. For me, I live in Texas. So is it possible for me ?

Getting Virginia tuition requires a year of residency. You've got bigger issues though. You'll probably have to jump through hoops to get into high school. It would take some bona fide document showing you are residing with this other person. In most counties, they're a little sensitive to people school shopping.

I hope your grades are top notch. Your ability to get into the better state schools (like UVa, W&M, Tech) is going to be tougher from in-state, especially if you come from the more populous counties than you would coming in from out of state.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast