Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Neighbor Makes False Police Reports

My question involves defamation in the state of: Illinois.

My Neighbor has filed false police reports on 7 different times. I was arrested 7 different times for disorderly conduct for allegedly yelling at them and calling them names. Cutting my grass and leaving grass clipping on the sidewalk. Just to name a few.Now I never did these things but the police just take their word for it. I have been to court for these and all have been dismissed (directed finding) by a judge. The judges say there is no law being broken. So my question are these.

1. What can be done to my Neighbor? The police keep taking her word for it. Sue for defamation or slander?

2. What can be done to the police department? Not fully investigating a complaint. False arrest?

Default Re: Neighbor Makes False Police Reports

1. You can speak with an attorney who will be able to advise whether a harassment complaint is in order.

2. Neither of those apply.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Harassment complaint against who?

Quote Quoting chopperb
    View Post

2. What can be done to the police department? Not fully investigating a complaint. False arrest?
    I assume that the police talked to you after every complaint and then arrested you? Well, you have 2 options with the police: first, talk to the chief (but they should investigate any complaint) ; second, send the town a notice of trespass stating that no employee can enter your property without written permission.

Neither action may help you. But stop talking to the police .. save your arguments for the judge. Grass clippings on the sidewalk? Goofy. Yelling at them? Unless you are threatening them, thats OK.

Maybe a restraining order against your neighbor.

The police can believe one guy's word over another. Stop talking to them ... they'll use your words against you so if you said "I yelled at him" & your neighbor said "he threatened me" then guess what? You are going to be arrested. If you don't say anything, then they would not arrest you in all probability. But you just confirmed the neighbor's statement in the cop's mind.

Now, if the police arrest you time and time again for the same "offense" that judges rule time & time again in your favor then you may have a claim against the town and the individual police officers. Is this the case?

Yes same thing everytime. Disorderly Conduct. I stopped talking to the police long ago. Now they just call me and say I have to come down to the station and post a bond and I get a court date. Got to court and it gets dismissed by the judge saying it was not against the law to yell at some one.

Quote Quoting chopperb
    View Post
    Yes same thing everytime. Disorderly Conduct. I stopped talking to the police long ago. Now they just call me and say I have to come down to the station and post a bond and I get a court date. Got to court and it gets dismissed by the judge saying it was not against the law to yell at some one.
    Now you have something that is protected, SPEECH. And in your situation its actionable I think. Under Section 1983 ...

I would not go so easily myself but you seem to have this procedure down pretty pat lol.

I would be more than upset .. but that's me .. you seem to be very reasonable.

Write the town clerk a demand letter ... while you cannot directly successfully sue the town, you can sue the officers and the town is bound to pick up the tab. So you can sue both the officers and town .. so write a letter to the town clerk demanding payment of some amount (50K??) or you will file a civil suit.. that may get some attention. Then call the town's consul and get him to agree to talk to the police .. say you won't file a civil complaint if all this stops. The only thing local governments understand is $$$. Go to town meetings etc... lots of things besides court action may help abate these continual arrests.

I would file with the clerk a notice of trespass ... just to cover your butt .. and serve one to your neighbor too (certified mail w/both). Time to get the law on your side.

You probably don't want to sue just to get this harassment stopped. In a civil suit, I don't see alot of $$ in a win anyway.

The neighbor? He is just filing a complaint -- unless he lies in what he tells the cops then he is likely not liable to a civil suit.

And quit yelling at the guy .. is this an old-timer whose a little batty? I actually enjoy their company -- even when they are complaining about me; I figure I'll act the same when I go crazy from old age.

Thanks for the info. The crazy thing is more then 1/2 the time im not home when they call. The last time in August I was not even home any she called saying I was yelling at her. I have cctv on my house and I could prove when I left and when I came home. The police wanted nothing to do with it. Just wanted me to turn myself in. I brought it to court but didnt have to use it.

How does the old saying go? "A fence makes for good neighbors" or something like that? I would build a fence and ignore the neighbor and if the neighbor is aggravated it's THEIR problem. Be sure to follow set back guidelines to the letter if you build a fence!

Quote Quoting Legal Beagle
    View Post
    How does the old saying go? "A fence makes for good neighbors" or something like that? I would build a fence and ignore the neighbor and if the neighbor is aggravated it's THEIR problem. Be sure to follow set back guidelines to the letter if you build a fence!

Guns make the absolutely best neighbors !

In some states - and Illinois may be one of them - a complaining party is capable of swearing out a complaint against a person and the police simply act as the go between and are required to follow through on the complaint. It would be the same as a citizen's arrest out here. If so, then there is nothing that can be done to the police department as they would likely be breaking the law if they did NOT follow through.

If the police continually act on the complaint on their own volition, and the judge continues to dismiss, then you might want to speak to an attorney regarding your alternatives. It may be nothing more than speaking to the police administration and asking them about what can be done to prevent this from happening again. But, on the other hand, the police may have little alternative in all of this and hold no liability.

If false complaints are being made against you, the party responsible is the neighbor making the complaints.

Quote Quoting davidmcbeth3
    Guns make the absolutely best neighbors !
    Well ... when displayed as part of a confrontation, they tend to be the kind of neighbor that goes to jail.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast