Default Neighbor Makes False Police Reports

My question involves defamation in the state of: Illinois.

My Neighbor has filed false police reports on 7 different times. I was arrested 7 different times for disorderly conduct for allegedly yelling at them and calling them names. Cutting my grass and leaving grass clipping on the sidewalk. Just to name a few.Now I never did these things but the police just take their word for it. I have been to court for these and all have been dismissed (directed finding) by a judge. The judges say there is no law being broken. So my question are these.

1. What can be done to my Neighbor? The police keep taking her word for it. Sue for defamation or slander?

2. What can be done to the police department? Not fully investigating a complaint. False arrest?

Default Re: Neighbor Makes False Police Reports

1. You can speak with an attorney who will be able to advise whether a harassment complaint is in order.

2. Neither of those apply.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Harassment complaint against who?

Yes same thing everytime. Disorderly Conduct. I stopped talking to the police long ago. Now they just call me and say I have to come down to the station and post a bond and I get a court date. Got to court and it gets dismissed by the judge saying it was not against the law to yell at some one.

Thanks for the info. The crazy thing is more then 1/2 the time im not home when they call. The last time in August I was not even home any she called saying I was yelling at her. I have cctv on my house and I could prove when I left and when I came home. The police wanted nothing to do with it. Just wanted me to turn myself in. I brought it to court but didnt have to use it.

How does the old saying go? "A fence makes for good neighbors" or something like that? I would build a fence and ignore the neighbor and if the neighbor is aggravated it's THEIR problem. Be sure to follow set back guidelines to the letter if you build a fence!

In some states - and Illinois may be one of them - a complaining party is capable of swearing out a complaint against a person and the police simply act as the go between and are required to follow through on the complaint. It would be the same as a citizen's arrest out here. If so, then there is nothing that can be done to the police department as they would likely be breaking the law if they did NOT follow through.

If the police continually act on the complaint on their own volition, and the judge continues to dismiss, then you might want to speak to an attorney regarding your alternatives. It may be nothing more than speaking to the police administration and asking them about what can be done to prevent this from happening again. But, on the other hand, the police may have little alternative in all of this and hold no liability.

If false complaints are being made against you, the party responsible is the neighbor making the complaints.

Quote Quoting davidmcbeth3
    Guns make the absolutely best neighbors !
    Well ... when displayed as part of a confrontation, they tend to be the kind of neighbor that goes to jail.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting davidmcbeth3
    View Post
    Guns make the absolutely best neighbors !
    Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Well ... when displayed as part of a confrontation, they tend to be the kind of neighbor that goes to jail.
    And in some areas, the neighbor brandishing the firearm is shot first - then off to jail.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links