Default Statute of Limitations on Identity Theft

My question involves civil rights in the State of: California.

I contacted police in 1996 to report identity theft. The police arrested me instead of the party that racked up $23,115 in credit card bills. (long story) It fell within the 1 year that was required of me to report. Now it is 2011 and the same people have duped me several other times into thinking that they would repay me but only to get me into more trouble. I got exonerated by one card company and will be treating this as a fraud case. But the thing I would like to know is why did the investigator with the same police department I went to in 1996 not able to find my initial report of identity theft? If the report was still on file, would that void out the 3 or 7 years of statute of limitations and can re-open any claims?

Default Re: Statute of Limitations on Identity Theft

We have no access to department records, and have no way of telling you why a particular police officer cannot find a particular record.

If you are telling us that an offense occurred in 1996 and the statute of limitations was somewhere between 3 and 7 years, with no reason identified for potentially tolling the limitations period, you just told us that the statute of limitations ran sometime between 1999 and the end of 2006.

1. Sponsored Links