Default Name on Social Security Card is Not the Same As Birth Certificate and Signature

My question involves name change laws in the State of: CALIFORNIA

Hi,

All through out elementary, High School, Trade school my kids Birth certificates I have had my father's last name even though the DMV did not let me put it on my ID because it was not on my birth certificate. My SSN had my last name as the same as my father. When I started at a community college and started work study they wanted to see my SSN card and said I needed to pick a last name. I had to go with the one on my Birth certificate because I could not afford to get it amended to show what I feel is my real last name. Even though I changed my last name to reflect my birth certificate I still sign all my documents and ID with my father's last name. I was worried that if my last name changed and was no longer the same name as stated on my children's birth certificates I would run into problems, so i sign the same as on their birth certificates. Now I am experiencing a situation where they told me I can not sign using a different last name than what is stated on my current SSN and ID. I feel like it's my signature and I should sign my documents how I see fit and its the same signature that is on my ID. Also I believe its a good deterent from Identity fraud. No one would know How I really sign my name. If all they know is what they read. My question is: Should my paperwork be rejected or should I be forced to sign differently because my signature does not reflect what my ID or SSN states?

Thank you

Default Re: Name on Ssn is Not the Same As Birth Certificate and Your Signature

Apply to the court for a legal name change.

Default Re: Name on Social Security Card is Not the Same As Birth Certificate and Signature

If you want to avoid having problems from the mismatch, change your name. The process of changing your name is summarized here.

Default Re: Name on Social Security Card is Not the Same As Birth Certificate and Signature

Sure thats the long term solution. I want to know if there is something legally that states I am required to sign documents using my legal last name rather than the signature I have used for all of my life so far so that I can show that my documents should not be rejected because I sign with my father's last name and not with my mother's.

Anyone can choose to not do business with you if they do not like your alias. If all you could do was make an X, they could choose to reject that also.

1. Sponsored Links