Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When is Emancipation Possible

So I live in Oregon. I am 15 currently enrolled in high school, and working towards good grades. I am also applying for jobs as I type this. But what I wanted to know is if emancipation is a possibility for me. Life at home is extremely stressful. Very rarely does a day pass where verbal abuse is thrown around in my house. Sometimes, when things are really bad, there's physical abuse(choke outs, being thrown against walls), but it's very uncommon(I can only count two or three times that I can remember). I want to get emancipated to escape all the stress. I plan on living with two or three other friends sharing an apartment(sharing bills as well). Is this a possibility for me, and if it is, then what do I have to do to achieve it? I have already talked to my parents about it, and they are ok with me working towards it. My dad was being a downer about it, saying that people who do get it it are extremely responsible and mature, implying I was neither of these(he may be right). My mother calmed him down and told him to let me pursue this. So, can this work?

Default Re: A Possibility for Me

Not even close.

Only one state will emancipate a 15 year old, and it's not yours.

You have no job, nowhere to live, and cannot show the court that you can support yourself. The court needs to know that you can FULLY support yourself if your friends move out, leave the country, die.

If you are being abused, call CPS.

I have a feeling your parents are seemingly okay with it, because they know it's not possible in your circumstances.

If you are being abused
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

next year, whhen I am sixteen, I forgot to mention the most important part :0

And by next year, I will be set up for all of those. At least, I would think.

Don't forget, you can't just show the court that you can support yourself as long as you have two or three apartment-mates. You have to be able to show the judge that you can support yourself with NO help, in the event that the others don't stick around. What is your plan for working the hours you will need to work in order to do that, while still going to school?

well as far as working and going to school at the same time, I will be doing most of my work on the weekends. I would do an hour or so everyday after school, then go home, do my home work and I would still be left with plenty of time to rest and recreate.

Uh...don't recreate.

Please.

Do not microwave grapes

Honey, how much money do you think you'll need to earn to prove to the judge that you can be fully self-supporting? Give us an idea what you think your monthly budget would have to be.

well, at the apartment I want to move into, Rent is about 600 bucks, food for me would hit 50 bucks a month, electricity? Well I am not sure about electricity, I'd guess 100, if I conserve carefully. Water bills are paid by the apartments. So 750-850? somewhere in those lines

And Dog, by recreate I mean play video games and eat. Like every other 15 year old.

You're dreaming if you think you can eat on $50 a month. But even if you're right about that, you've left out transportation. You've left out clothing. You've left out phone bills. You've left out recreation. You've left out medical care. You've left out things like toilet paper and laundry detergent and soap and shampoo and paper towels. You've left out insurance.

Want to try again?

Rent: 600
    Food: Try $200/month.
    Clothing: ?
    Electricity: 100
    Other utilities: ?
    Health insurance: ?
    Transportation: ?
    Sundry items: ?

What kind of job are you thinking about?

Really - the court is NOT going to accept $50/month as a food budget. Seriously, you're not a candidate for emancipation.

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast