Default Manufactured Home Repo Laws in Michigan

My question involves a mortgage in the state of: Michigan.

We are currently living in a manufactured home in a park in Michigan. Due to the usual unforeseen circumstances, we will NOT be able to make our payments and will end up in repossession. We've tried listing it for sale with no luck. Our lender is 21st and the only help they have given us is a list for non profit organizations to pay our payment for us. They cannot help us. We are not yet 30 days late but will be on the 31st of October. The rep from 21st was incredibly rude and told us we need to be out ASAP. She would not tell us an exact time frame as to when we legally have to be out of here.

We are aware of the consequences financially and as much as it sucks to have to go this route, it's the only one we have. Repo will happen. I need to know how long until they can actually repossess the manufactured home? How long until we will legally need to be out of here?

The manufactured home is personal property from what I gathered from research. So we don't have foreclosure time, obviously. If you need more information to help, I'll do my best to answer any questions. We're hoping we will have until at last the end of November to get packed up and out of here. We will be moving in with family once we leave here.

Thank you!

Default Re: Manufactured Home Repo Laws in Michigan

Your lot rent is current? It's only your home payments that are delinquent?

They should be able to repossess it like a car. Therefore, you may come back and find it and your stuff gone. They prefer not to do that. They would rather have you move out, so they can resell it in place. This protects you as well as them. Once it is moved, you incur a significant devaluation due to breakdown/setup and transportation costs. Ultimately, you will owe this. I suggest you call them and advise them you will voluntarily abandon the property for repossession on 11/30. This will likely save everyone money.

Manufactured homes can be purchased as, in essence, titled vehicles or they can be made part of the real estate. As you are renting a lot from a manufactured home community, I expect that you fall into the former category and thus subject to a similar procedure as for the repossession of a vehicle - which is to say, you don't get any real protection from the lender's locking you out, although you can pay off the debt and will be entitled to notice any eventual sale of the home at auction.

Often lenders will work in concert with the owners or managers of the community, so if you are current with your lot rent and are on good terms with the manager you may want to see what the manager can tell you. Often following repossession the lender will contract with the management to act as its sales agent for the home.

1. Sponsored Links