Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When Can You Park in Handicap Parking Without Getting a Ticket

My question involves a traffic citation from the state of: Michigan

Ok, so I was at work this morning for a meeting at 9:00 A.M.. I parked in a handicap spot because it was closest to the door. I only parked there because we were not open for business until 11:00 A.M. I would never park in a handicap space during regular business hours.

Ok, here is my question. What is the law for parking in handicap spaces? I had a cop harass me this morning over my choice of parking. He told me I could not park there. Even after I explained to him the situation. I was only parked there for an hour and a half and we were not even open for business for 2 more hours. Which means that no body and I mean NO ONE should even be parked in the lot until we are open for business at 11:00 A.M..

Normally I wouldn't care about something like this. But because of my position on law-enforcement abusing their power, I always like to make sure I have the right to tell then to go fly a kite before I actually do so.

Anyone chime in here with some input? I looked up the laws on this, but there isn't anything saying if the law does or does not change when a business is or isn't open for business.

Thanks.

Default Re: Handicap Parking

If you don't have a licence plate or hang tag authorizing you to park in handicapped spaces, you don't get to park in them. It's that simple.

Quote Quoting 4BangN
    View Post
    Anyone chime in here with some input? I looked up the laws on this, but there isn't anything saying if the law does or does not change when a business is or isn't open for business.

Thanks.
    That's because it doesn't change.

A handicapped spot is always a handicapped spot. Even if the business itself is closed. This prevent people parking in said spots and then fighting the ticket on the basis of when they parked there.

If you didn't have a sign or placard, you should never park there.

So, law enforcement DIDN'T abuse his/her power and, in fact, cut you a bunch of slack by not giving you a ticket. Wasn't that nice?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Thanks for information so far. I had a feeling that was going to be the case, but I was interested in actually knowing the law. I have done this in the past at a different location and was never harassed about it. In fact, there used to be several of us in our last location that did this in the early mornings for meetings. This is why I found it weird to have a problem.

And CYJeff, I never said that specific law enforcement officer was abusing any power. I have been harassed before by local P.D. for the most ridiculous things. And only enforcing laws on the days you feel like enforcing them on is most definitely an abuse of power.

Quote Quoting 4BangN
    View Post
    And only enforcing laws on the days you feel like enforcing them on is most definitely an abuse of power.

If that's the way you feel, any time any officer wants to cut you a break insist that they do their job and ticket/arrest you as appropriate.

Quote Quoting 4BangN
    View Post
    And only enforcing laws on the days you feel like enforcing them on is most definitely an abuse of power.
    You are actually complaining that you DIDN'T get a ticket? May I also assume you would have complained if you HAD gotten a ticket?

Basically, you are saying you will complain anytime you interact with law enforcement. That situation may be beyond the capabilities of this board.
    - Mark Twain

Next time explain to the officer that you park in them all the time with out a permit. I am sure he will treat you fairly.

Holy crap, I can't believe the responses I am getting. All I am trying to say with the comment "And only enforcing laws on the days you feel like enforcing them on is most definitely an abuse of power." is that I feel police need to be more consistent.

Example: Pulling me over in my civic for a loud exhaust (which has a 48 state legal exhaust, MI being 1 of the 48) and letting the heavily modified truck drive past with open headers is ridiculous. This has actually happened to me before.

Quote Quoting 4BangN
    View Post
    Holy crap, I can't believe the responses I am getting. All I am trying to say with the comment "And only enforcing laws on the days you feel like enforcing them on is most definitely an abuse of power." is that I feel police need to be more consistent.

Example: Pulling me over in my civic for a loud exhaust (which has a 48 state legal exhaust, MI being 1 of the 48) and letting the heavily modified truck drive past with open headers is ridiculous. This has actually happened to me before.
    Fine.

Call the officer's superior. Tell that superior that you demand that laws be applied more consistently and that you demand a $150 ticket immediately for parking illegally in a handicapped spot.

That supervisor will be happy to oblige.

The responses you are getting are because you seem upset with law enforcement no matter what they do. We can't do much with that. I sounds like a personal choice that is outside the capabilities of this board. Nothing we say or do will change that.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    Fine.

Call the officer's superior. Tell that superior that you demand that laws be applied more consistently and that you demand a $150 ticket immediately for parking illegally in a handicapped spot.

That supervisor will be happy to oblige.

The responses you are getting are because you seem upset with law enforcement no matter what they do. We can't do much with that. I sounds like a personal choice that is outside the capabilities of this board. Nothing we say or do will change that.
    Thank you, you actually just did more then you think.
    (All sarcasm aside)

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast