Default How to Seal a Misdemeanor, Pled Down From a Felony

My question involves criminal records for the state of: Nevada

I'm looking into getting a misdemeanor record sealed here in Las Vegas. I've been researching the process as much as possible. I was hoping to get advice on what avenue to take towards the request. I've seen adverts for sevices that gather the required paperwork for less than $200.00, law offices that offer a "complete service" package for around $1,000.00, and instructions for attempting to do it yourself. I was hoping to get some advice one which options is most likely to be successful. If the investment in legal/paralegal services are the way to go, I was also hoping on some advice on how to find the right people to handle the work. Thank you for any helpful comments in advance.

Default Re: How to Seal a Misemeanor, Pled Down From a Felony

Read this.

A paralegal service will be able to sell you the documents you need, help you prepare them and help you file them with the court, but they won't provide legal advice or representation. If you're capable of figuring out how to get the documents, complete them and file them, you probably don't need a paralegal service.

If you want a lawyer to come with you to court and advocate for you in court, you would need to hire a lawyer - but obviously there's a significant cost.

I'm pretty sure I could handle the documents. As of now, I'm wondering if hiring a lawyer might be worth the expense. I've spoken to a couple local firms over the phone, and was told as long as it's the only thing on my record it would be a "done deal". I was also told that the lawyer would appear in court for me, which means I wouldn't have to miss a day of work. The people I've spoken with at the firms tell me that having a lawyer handle the pettition will increase the chance that it would be successful. Do you think it affects the process at all?

A lawyer has better relationship with the judges and know how to argue the case on your behalf better then you will.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think hiring a lawyer is probably my best shot. I have an appointment in two days to discuss things with a local attorney.

1. Sponsored Links