Default Can You Move Out at 18 If You're Still in School

My friend is 17 years old and we live in Ohio. She will be 18 in 34 days. She has been planning to move out of her home for well over a year now, and my mother and I have offered to take her in when she reaches 18 and can move out.

Her mother has begun telling her that she cannot move out on her 18th birthday, because she is still in high school. I have read on several different sites that whether you are still in school or not, you can move out of your parents home at the age of 18. Is this true?

Default Re: Can You Move Out at 18 If You're Still in School

Ohio statute

3109.01 Age of majority.

All persons of the age of eighteen years or more, who are under no legal disability, are capable of contracting and are of full age for all purposes.Effective Date: 01-01-1974
    Although I have found a few places that stated "18 or graduate from high school" I found not statutory support for that statement.

I suspect that statement is involving how long child support is enforceable and not actually involving the age of majority.

Once 18, can do what you want.

She can legally move out at 18. Her problem is the school part. The school may or may not accept her being on her own. The deciding factor is usually that she is still in the district of her former custodial parent. Are you currently in the same school district? Another argument the school can choose to raise is her status as self supporting. If you are in the same district, I suggest she talk the district superintendent to make sure they are okay with the situation.

JK is right - at 18 she's a legal adult, and regardless of any child support issues, law enforcement isn't going to force an 18 year old to return to a parent. Ohio's compulsory education statutes (33321.01 to 3321.99) require a CHILD, until the age of 18, to attend school, and can hold the parent responsible, even criminally so, for their child's lack of attendance...but once 18 hits, the "child" is no longer a child (notice that the statute only addresses attending until an AGE, and NOT until a GRADUATION).
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Quote Quoting aardvarc
    View Post
    JK is right - at 18 she's a legal adult, and regardless of any child support issues, law enforcement isn't going to force an 18 year old to return to a parent. Ohio's compulsory education statutes (33321.01 to 3321.99) require a CHILD, until the age of 18, to attend school, and can hold the parent responsible, even criminally so, for their child's lack of attendance...but once 18 hits, the "child" is no longer a child (notice that the statute only addresses attending until an AGE, and NOT until a GRADUATION).
    What I addressed and you failed to touch on, was that OP's friend will want to continue school until graduation. That is the additional portion of the issue, only I addressed.

1. Sponsored Links