Default What Happens After CPS Takes the Children

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: california
    I am besides myself with outrage and grief over what C.P.S has done.My friend had an anonymous complaint filed with CPS.The worker visited and told Greta(pseudonym) that she didn't see a problem but she would set up a meeting in order to get Greta help with everything from grief counselling to housing.I should mention that these are her grand daughters,her daughter was found murdered a little over a year ago.
    Greta was in the process of moving in with me until she could find a space to rent for her 5th wheel.That Tuesday Greta took the girls to the "meeting",I got a phone call from CPS saying the had some questions for me about Greta.They asked me what I knew about her encounters with the justice system,how did she take care of the girls,did I know if she did illegal drugs.She went on to say that CPS was considering removing the girls from her custody while they conducted the investigation but if they approved of my living arrangements they could stay with me.They brought the girls over and said that Greta could visit them for as long as she wanted but she could not stay the night.
    The worker came over that Friday saying that CPS was waiting for the drug test result and would not get it until Tuesday.She mentioned a 3 month program CPS might set up for Greta and that the living arrangement would remain the same til further notice.Yesterday CPS came and said they were taking the girls,Greta wasn't here.I asked to see a court order ,he said they didn't need one.There is a detention hearing Friday.What can I expect? I love those girls like my own.

Default Re: C.p.s Took the Children,now What

There is a chance that your home - and Greta - will be deemed fit and the girls can stay put. However, if it appears that your home is fit but Greta isn't, they'll likely be removed.

Where is the father? Does Greta have legal custody/guardianship?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: What Happens After CPS Takes the Children

Quote Quoting rebeccasrevenge
    View Post
    and told Greta(pseudonym) that she didn't see a problem but she would set up a meeting in order to get Greta help with everything from grief counselling to housing.I should mention that these are her grand daughters,her daughter was found murdered a little over a year ago.
    Okay, so Greta is the grandmother of the children. Has a court granted her legal custody of the children? Where is the girls' dad?

Any idea on the allegations in this anonymous complaint? Surely it was not just that the girls' were living with grandma.

Greta was in the process of moving in with me until she could find a space to rent for her 5th wheel.
    So, grandma doesn't have a home? She lives in a trailer? That could be an impediment to custody.

That Tuesday Greta took the girls to the "meeting",I got a phone call from CPS saying the had some questions for me about Greta.They asked me what I knew about her encounters with the justice system,how did she take care of the girls,did I know if she did illegal drugs.
    Has she had legal problems and run-ins with the law? Did you respond truthfully?

She went on to say that CPS was considering removing the girls from her custody while they conducted the investigation but if they approved of my living arrangements they could stay with me.They brought the girls over and said that Greta could visit them for as long as she wanted but she could not stay the night.
    Okay. It sounds as if the allegations are that grandma has somehow exposed the girls to some risk of harm and they feel comfortable with them staying with you for the time being.

The worker came over that Friday saying that CPS was waiting for the drug test result and would not get it until Tuesday.She mentioned a 3 month program CPS might set up for Greta and that the living arrangement would remain the same til further notice.Yesterday CPS came and said they were taking the girls,Greta wasn't here.I asked to see a court order ,he said they didn't need one.There is a detention hearing Friday.What can I expect? I love those girls like my own.
    Not sure what YOU can expect as you are a legal non-entity to these children. You can help grandma by helping her pay for an attorney to assist her.

If the court affirms the temporary detention of the children, then a plan will likely be set up to allow grandma the possibility of adopting the children (if not already hers) or to allow her to regain physical custody. The ultimate goal will be family reunification, but a lot depends on mom's history and whether she is emotionally and physically fit to care for the children. if she is overcome with grief then that can be a problem ... it sounds like this might BE part of the problem, and there might be an emotional/mental health aspect to this whole thing.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

You must work for CPS

HEY! Can I get another lawyer here?!

View Post
    You must work for CPS

Nope. I don't work for CPS, though I have worked closely with them for many years.

I notice you did not bother to answer any of the questions I posed which could help to identify the nature of the issue that has caused concern.

If you care not to answer questions, that's fine. Your friend is free to pay for and consult an attorney to assist her in her attempt to negotiate the system.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

View Post
    You must work for CPS

No need for one - the information you've already been given is correct based on what you've told us. If you'd like to answer the questions posed, that may alter one or more answers; but we can only evaluate what you choose to share.
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

1. Sponsored Links