Red face Obedience to Traffic Control Devices

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Pennsylvania

I was driving to Philadelphia and I was caught doing 101 in a 65 zone. I was going down a hill, and the officer used a Genesis handheld laser gun to clock my speed. I began to slow down after the descend, but the officer had already hit me from behind. I was pulled over, and the officer was kind enough to only hand me a (1) Careless Driving and (2) Obedience to Traffic Control Devices. I have no court date, just two citations to pay.

As I understand, the Careless Driving ticket carries 3 points onto my license (but 3 points are removed after a year of no violations in Pennsylvania). My only concern is my insurance. I'm locked in at a rate until August 23rd, but after then I have to renew. I thought about contesting this in court and possibly reducing the points to none with a higher violation - And I contacted several attorneys about this. Many of them recommended I just pay it off since the officer was nice enough to give me a break, but some have offered representation. My options are:

(a) Hire an attorney, attend court and hopefully reduce the citation to something with no points. This will cost me about $400-$1500 in attorney fees, + ticket fees, + 2.5 hours of driving time (5 in total, back/forth).
    (b) Plead guilty, continue driving until August 23rd, garage the car for a month and a half, renew insurance once my points are gone

From what I've read, Pennsylvania is one of the only states that doesn't offer traffic school to reduce points, so unfortunately that isn't an option. Both citations clearly state that I was going 101 in a 65. An attorney recommended that I admit fault in court but attempt to reach a deal with the judge or the officer. This is my first citation/fine too.

Any advice? Thank you!

Default Re: Obedience to Traffic Control Devices

Quote Quoting iSuw
    View Post
    As I understand, the Careless Driving ticket carries 3 points onto my license (but 3 points are removed after a year of no violations in Pennsylvania).

(b) Plead guilty, continue driving until August 23rd, garage the car for a month and a half, renew insurance once my points are gone

Did you mean October 23rd or November 23rd since Aug 23 is long gone? The clock on that 1 year time frame to remove the points is reset since you have now had 2 violations. You don't get to go without getting caught until November, plead guilty in December, and then have the points disappear on Jan 1.

Quote Quoting free9man
    View Post
    Did you mean October 23rd or November 23rd since Aug 23 is long gone? The clock on that 1 year time frame to remove the points is reset since you have now had 2 violations. You don't get to go without getting caught until November, plead guilty in December, and then have the points disappear on Jan 1.
    I am not clear on how you arrived at that option either....

Quote Quoting iSuw
    View Post
    From what I've read, Pennsylvania is one of the only states that doesn't offer traffic school to reduce points, so unfortunately that isn't an option. Both citations clearly state that I was going 101 in a 65. An attorney recommended that I admit fault in court but attempt to reach a deal with the judge or the officer.
    For one, and if Pennsylvania's laws and rules work in the same manner as most other states, the judge cannot change the charge... My guess is that you'll be talking to a prosecuting attorney and possibly, the officer!

Speaking of the officer, and in light of the fact that he's already given you a roadside discount, I wouldn't walk into court with any more entitlements. Chances are, you may end up being sorely disappointed. Instead, you should also have a back up plan in case plan A doesn't pan out!

Quote Quoting iSuw
    View Post
    This is my first citation/fine too.
    I must say, you did a great job for a first timer

My insurance renewal is August 23rd, 2012.
    My ticket was issued on October 9, 2011.

Thus, the "anniversary" of my ticket would hopefully be sometime in October of 2012, depending on when it's plugged into the system (I think).

From the Pennsylvania Point System Factsheet:

"Three (3) points are removed from a driving record for every 12 consecutive months a person drives (from the date of the last violation) without a violation which results in points, license suspension or revocation."

The "obedience to traffic control devices" has no points attached, just a fine. My idea was to drive until my insurance renewal, garage the car, and then redo my insurance once the 3 points are removed. My backup plan in case plan A doesn't pan out is Plan B .

Thank you both for the input(s)!

Well, that just might work...

... Until your insurer decides to run your driving record just prior to your next renewal date of August 23rd as they prepare to re-rate your policy and send you a renewal notice! Or until they randomly run your record at any time during the policy period (and there is nothing you can do to prevent it)...

1. Sponsored Links