Default Can I Get a Job with a Bench Warrant

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Ohio

I hope that I'm posting this in the appropriate category. I'm 18 and a little over a month ago I received a minor misdemeanor ticket for fare evasion (I had somewhere I absolutely needed to be but I had no money for fare and thought I would take the risk). This happened not long after a summer job I had ended. I've been searching for a job since then but a couple weeks ago I missed my court date (I had a fever and no money to pay fare anyway) so now I have a bench warrant. I don't live with parents so it's critical that I make an income of my own. Would a bench warrant prevent me from obtaining a job? Does it show up on a background check? If it does will I be arrested when I try to apply for employment somewhere? I'm a little nervous to continue job searching with an active warrant because I can't afford bail. This is my first offense with the law and I would like to just pay off the fines and what not and be done with it. Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Default Re: Can I Get a Job with a Bench Warrant

The warrant will show up in a background check. You might be arrested, we cannot predict that.

With all due respect, it never ceases to amaze why young people do things like this. For less than probably a $6.00 fare, you will likely have to pay $100 or more in fines.

Then you compound the problem by being too sick to appear in court. Did you bother to call the courthouse first thing in the morning to inform someone in the Office of Clerk of the Court that you were too ill to attend? If you had done so, a possibility exists your court date would have been rescheduled and no bench warrant would have been issued. Instead, you apparently did nothing.

To your question, if your prospective employer has a firm conduct a thorough background check, the bench warrant may show up.

At this point, you should talk to a Legal Aid lawyer to discuss how you can turn yourself, have the bench warrant lifted and pay the commensurate fines.

You also want to have a “Man in the Mirror” moment. You need to rededicate yourself to making good decisions ALL OF THE TIME! Being broke and unemployed sucks! You do not want to make a bad situation worse by routinely making thoughtless decisions.

You can and should do better! Start today. I am rooting for you!

Would a bench warrant prevent me from obtaining a job? If a prospective employer does a criminal background check, yes, it could prevent you from securing employment.

Does it show up on a background check? It can; it depends on the particular background check being conducted.

If it does will I be arrested when I try to apply for employment somewhere? No. A bench warrant means that if you have any interaction with the police (i.e. you get stopped for a broken tail light or speeding), they're going to arrest you then.

I'm a little nervous to continue job searching with an active warrant because I can't afford bail. Then you need to proactively deal with this. Contact the court that has jurisdiction and pay any fines and penalties you owe.

This is my first offense with the law and I would like to just pay off the fines and what not and be done with it So do it before you end up in jail. Employers don't give leave time for incarceration so if you find a job and then get put in the pokey, chances are you'll lose your job. Get this straightened out now.

Background checks vary by employer. Whether or not an employer would hire you if they found out about your warrant depends on the policies of the employer. Needless to say, if an employer is concerned that you might be arrested on the job or not show up one day because you've been picked up on a warrant, they might have second thoughts about hiring you.

1. Sponsored Links