Default Can the Landlord Terminate Lease Early

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California
    I have lived in a house for 1 year and just renewed my lease with my landlord for another year, ending august 2012. Today I received a phone call from her, telling me she wants to move back into her house because she is breaking up with her boyfriend and doesn't have any place to live. Can she legally do that? She offered to give me a month's free rent. I have been doing research and I can't find anything that says she can. A friend told me she would have to pay relocation/moving fee's as well as give me back my security deposit. But I'm not sure, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Restless in California

Default Re: Can the Landlord Terminate Lease Early

Can she ask you to end your lease early? Yes. Can she offer you something in exchange for agreeing to end your lease early? Yes. Do you have to accept? No.

so legally, i don't have to move until my lease is up in august of 2012, correct?

We cannot promise you that no grounds for your eviction will arise between now and then, but if we make the assumption that no grounds exist or arise then you would be able to remain in residence through the duration of your tenancy.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    We cannot promise you that no grounds for your eviction will arise between now and then, but if we make the assumption that no grounds exist or arise then you would be able to remain in residence through the duration of your tenancy.
    okay, i understand... i have always made my lease payment on time, and we have a good repoire, i just don't want it to go down hill from here. i feel really bad for her situation, but moving is a headache and i renewed the lease because im settled and we get along great. i just wanted to make sure legally because she is the owner of the home, that there isn't some california law or code that states the owner of a property can move back into their home or something.

i read online that she as the property owner has the right to do that, if she can prove hardship.

1. Sponsored Links