Default Does My Child Qualify for Benefits if I Have Social Security Disability

I have been on SSD since 2007 and have a payee representative. My payee representative lives with me and we had a baby back in 2007 shortly after I received SSD. We never reported the child to Social Security simply because we didn't know we had to and we never knew the child could receive benefits. We just reported the child a month ago and had a telephone interview with social security. They said that the child could be eligible for back pay since 2007 when I became disabled or benefits may begin the month it was reported. I don't receive much through SSD and my payee rep does not make alot of money. All three of us live in the same household and are under the federal poverty income for our state.

After the telephone interview, they said someone will call you. They just left it at that!

My question is how does Social Security determine how much back pay or if any back pay is given at all? Will we even qualify for benefits monthly at all? Why are they taking so long to resolve this? They are just adding a child, kinda like an authorized user on a credit card... right? How do they know how much or calculate the amount of money the child receives monthly?

Any help, opinion, or suggestion would be appreciated. Thank You!

Default Re: Does My Child Qualify for Benefits if I Have Social Security Disability

Are you receiving SSDI or SSI? There is no SSD.

Default Re: Does My Child Qualify for Benefits if I Have Social Security Disability

You had an interview, but did you file a claim? If you filed a claim, you would have received a copy of the claim. Perhaps the first interview was just to make the appointment to file a claim.

You don't say if you are the mother or the father. If you are the mother, the birth certificate proves it. If you are the father and you are not married to the mother, is your name listed on the birth certificate as the father? Was it done at the time of the child's birth?

In disability cases, there is a formula used for the family maximum. In cases in which the worker is young or has just barely enough credits to be insured, the monthly benefit paid to the worker can equal the family maximum which means children get zero. Whatever is the family maximum, after paying the worker, the rest is divided among all the children, none to exceed 50% of the worker's benefit. So to answer your question, your child can get between $0.00 and 1/2 of what you get.

Generally, auxiliiary benefits have a 6 month retroactivity.

If you call the 800#, they can tell you if a claim has been taken and decided or not.

Nope, not like adding a user on a credit card.

1. Sponsored Links