Question How Can a J1 Visa Holder Get a F1 Visa Without Being Denied

Hi there, i'm a current aupair (no 2 years residency) my j-1 visa expires this november 15, my plan is get the f-1 visa, but i have 2 options and wanna know which one could be better.

A).- i get the I-20 from the school my j-1 visa expires and i make an appointment to get the F-1 in the embassy of my country, Is this to risky?? even if the school already accept me (I'm from Mexico)

B) i can extend my j-1 visa with the agency as an aupair until august 2012, i get the I-20 from the school and while this time i can change my status from j-1 to f-1, Is this a difficult process? When do i need to start the process for change status of my visa on the way to be able to start the school in august??
    With the chance of status, if i go visit my country i need to apply for the f-1 in the embassy for be able to come back to united states, is this to risky,?? i hear people who says that they can denied really easy.

Wich one of this 2 to process could be the best for me?? which one is the safer??

Thanks a lot for your answer. Jacqueline.

Default Re: How Can a J1 Visa Holder Get a F1 Visa Without Being Denied

I'm not sure what you're proposing with (A) - if you are proposing that you will return home without going out of status, then seek a F1 through the embassy in your country, I'm not sure what you're worried about. If you're planning to overstay, the consequences of that decision depend in part on the length of your overstay, but you also run the risk of convincing the State Department that you don't intend to return home at the conclusion of your authorized stay.

If, with (B), you are proposing that you remain in status under a J1 visa and then attempt to change status to F1, with no home country residence requirement, that should be possible. (With HRR you cannot change status from within the U.S.) My guess is that your college has an immigration advisor - I suggest discussing the details of your situation with that person.

1. Sponsored Links